URA the HUD Way
Web-Based Training Course for the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970, as amended (URA)
This 8-part web-based modular training course provides basic information and resources to HUD grantees and funding recipients on URA requirements for HUD funded projects. Module 1 provides an overview of the URA. Module 2 provides an overview of another Federal law known as section 104(d), which applies to Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) funded projects. Modules 3 through 8 provide greater technical training on various URA topics.
NOTE: The information presented in this web training is current as of its posting. However, HUD may issue new or updated policies and guidance in the future. Users should always check HUD’s Acquisition & Relocation website for new announcements and updates which could impact the web training material. Users with additional questions on the training material may contact their local HUD Regional Relocation Specialist for further assistance.
Before starting the modules, it may be helpful to view these quick informational videos.
URA the HUD Way Modules
Explore these self-paced training modules to learn about URA basics and other topics.
Access the Modules
1. Select the module title.
2. You will be prompted to either create or log into your HUD Exchange Learn account.
3. If you need to create an account, click "Create an Account."
- Fill out the form and click the "Create Account" button.
- Your account has been created. You will receive a confirmation email.
4. After creating an account or logging in, the module will launch in a new window. Make sure your pop-up blockers are turned off.
Take the Quiz and Provide Feedback
5. Take the Completion Quiz for the module. After completing the module, close the window. You will be taken to the HUD Exchange Learn training page. Select the "Completion Quiz" link under Activities. You can also access the quiz from the section on this page associated with each module.
6. Print a Completion Certificate. After passing the Completion Quiz, a Print Certificate button will appear on the HUD Exchange Learn training page. Select the button to download a PDF version of your Certificate.
7. Complete the Satisfaction Feedback Form for each module. After completing the module, close the window. You will be taken to the HUD Exchange Learn training page. Click the "Satisfaction Feedback" link under Activities. You can also access the feedback form from the section on this page associated with each module.
This module provides a basic overview of URA requirements for HUD programs and projects. It provides a brief history on the URA's purpose and objectives, URA highlights, and helpful information for users to recognize when HUD funded projects may be subject to URA requirements.
Este módulo proporciona una descripción general básica de los requisitos de URA para programas y proyectos de HUD. Proporciona una breve historia sobre el propósito y los objetivos de URA, sus aspectos más destacados e información útil para que los usuarios reconozcan cuándo los proyectos financiados por HUD pueden estar sujetos a los requisitos de URA.
Section 104(d) is a federal law that applies to HUD’s CDBG and HOME programs. This module will provide an overview of section 104(d)’s purpose, objectives, and key requirements, including: 1) A Residential Antidisplacement and Relocation Assistance Plan (RARAP), 2) Relocation Assistance for Lower-income Persons, and 3) One-for-One Replacement of Lower-income Dwellings Demolished or Converted.
La sección 104(d) es una ley federal que se aplica al programa de Subvenciones en Bloque para el Desarrollo Comunitario (CDBG) y al Programa de Alianzas e Inversiones de Vivienda (HOME) de HUD. Este módulo proporcionará una descripción general del propósito, objetivos y requisitos clave de la sección 104 (d), que incluyen: 1) Un Plan de Anti-desplazamiento Residencial y Asistencia para Reubicación (RARAP), 2) Asistencia para Reubicación para Personas con bajos ingresos y 3) el Reemplazo Una por Una de Unidades de Vivienda asequibles, Demolidas o Convertidas.
This module presents guidance on when and how real property acquisition is implemented under the URA. Along with the applicability of acquisition, it explains the conditions needed for “voluntary” and “involuntary” acquisition. The entire acquisition process is explained using flowcharts, examples, and case studies.
In accordance with the URA, any residential occupant who qualifies as a displaced person is entitled to payment for moving and related expenses and to an offer of comparable replacement housing. This module addresses permanent residential displacement.
When a business must permanently relocate from real property as a direct result of acquisition, rehabilitation, or demolition for a federally funded project – do you know what moves to make?
The URA establishes the provisions for relocation assistance to eligible persons displaced by a federally assisted project. This module addresses nonresidential relocation for businesses, farms, and nonprofit organizations.
Temporary relocation due to acquisition, rehabilitation, or demolition for a federally-funded project is subject to the URA. The goals of this module are to understand when temporary relocation is applicable, identify the general HUD requirements and guidance for temporary relocation, recognize the impact of temporary relocation on households and businesses, and describe eligible reimbursable expenses for temporary relocation.
Sign up for the Acquisition and Relocation Mailing List to receive updates when new modules launch.
If you need assistance accessing the training, submit your request using the Contact Us form. For additional URA information and resources, visit HUD's Real Estate Acquisition and Relocation Website.