Rural Gateway Peer-To-Peer Conference Call: The State of Infrastructure in Rural America
September 03, 2015 | 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDT
Rural Gateway Peer-To-Peer Conference Call The State of Infrastructure in Rural America: A Discussion of Best Practices
The Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) invites you to take part in our next Peer-to-Peer conference call. Scheduled for September 3, 2015, this call will offer participants the opportunity to learn more about available programs through the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).
DOT's mission is to serve the United States by ensuring a fast, safe, efficient, accessible, and convenient transportation system that meets our vital national interests and enhances the quality of life of the American people, today and into the future. DOT works extensively with state and local governments, and community based organizations in Rural America to help address local transportation challenges and concerns. Through technical and financial assistance, DOT helps to build the capacity of rural communities to develop and implement solutions.
On July 17, 2015, the President announced a government-wide initiative called the Build America Investment Initiative to increase infrastructure investment and economic growth by engaging with state and local governments and private sector investors to encourage collaboration, expand the market for public-private partnerships (PPPs) and put federal credit programs to greater use. Starting with the transportation sector, this initiative will harness the potential of private capital to complement government funding. This call is an opportunity to learn more about how DOT programs and activities can help your small town or rural community tackle infrastructure challenges and create opportunities for growth, development and investment.
Leaders of the U.S. Department of Transportation will share their knowledge of successfully implementing activities that have expanded and created opportunities for those living in Rural America. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions about best practices and establish contacts for future reference.
Join HUD's Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) and the U.S. Department of Transportation staff as we engage rural community leaders in this open forum on opportunities available through DOT. Speakers will include:
- Valerie G. Piper, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development;
- Jackie L. Williams, Ph.D., Moderator, Director, Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development;
- Vinn White, Senior Advisor, Office of the Secretary (facilitator);
- Marianne Stock, Program Analyst, Federal Transit Administration;
- Fred Bowers, Community Planner, Office of Planning, Federal Highway Administration;
- Susan Kirinich, Management Analyst, Office of Government Affairs; National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Topics to be Discussed
- Planning Transportation Infrastructure in Rural America (FHWA)
- Transit to Meet the Needs of Rural Americans (FTA)
- Transportation Safety (FHWA/NHTSA)
- Practices and Technical Assistance Across the Department (all)
Format of the Call
Call-in instructions and additional materials will be emailed to participants on September 2, 2015. The 60-minute call will include presentations and a Q&A session.
Please RSVP by email to email@example.com no later than close of business onSeptember 1, 2015. Please include your name and organization.
If you have any questions, please call 1-877-RURAL-26 (1-877-787-2526).
Related Materials and Resources
- U.S. Department of Transportation Slides
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Slides