Meeting Needs During COVID-19: Successes in Promise Zones - Business Relief and Job Opportunities
March 16, 2021 | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM EDT
In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic tragically affected our nation, which has since resulted in 500,000 deaths, 28.1 million total cases, and a disastrous impact upon small businesses and many sectors of employment. Like many communities, Promise Zones had to pivot their strategies and respond to the immediate needs affecting their residents.
This webinar highlighted efforts made by Promise Zones related to promoting job opportunities and providing small business support.
Featured panelists and brief highlight:
- South Carolina – Low Country Promise Zone (SC): Implemented a microloan program via a USDA grant, which offered loans to existing small business and startups, and assisted businesses in getting available federal assistance through social media platforms
- St. Louis Promise Zone (MO): Operated a small business resource hotline and disseminated vital relief resources for those people and businesses most challenged by the pandemic
- IndyEast Promise Zone (IN): Disseminated information on public-private partnership and SBA disaster loans for Promise Zone businesses
- San Antonio Eastside Promise Zone (TX): Addressed the inequitable distribution of aid to small businesses and how to support them in addition to conducting a small and micro-business outreach campaign and survey
This webinar was part of a webinar series that covered efforts made by Promise Zones related to COVID-19 testing, responding to food shortages and shelter response, promoting job opportunities and small business support, and solving the digital divide – all of which have been exacerbated by the closures of schools and many work-from-home requirements by employers. View all webinars in the Meeting Community Needs During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Successes in the Promise Zones Webinar Series.
Related Materials and Resources
- Fact Sheet - USDA Rural Development Socially Disadvantaged Groups Grant
- Fact Sheet - USDA Rural Development COVID-19 Business and Industry CARES Act Program
- Fact Sheet - USDA Rural Development Value Added Producer Grant
- Program Matrix - USDA Rural Development Summary of Major Programs
- Survey Questions - Small Business Outreach
Tags: Promise Zones Initiative COVID-19