Self-Paced Online Training
Lead the Way: PHA Governance and Financial Management - A Training for Board Members
What you need to know about public housing agency board and staff responsibilities is now in one place.
Lead the Way is a free, online self-paced training designed primarily for public housing agency (PHA) board members/commissioners. New and experienced board members alike can benefit from the curriculum. Additionally, executive staff - CEOs, CFOs, finance teams, program managers - can use the tool to hone their skills and improve PHA operations.
The first three sections cover PHA foundations:
- Fundamentals of Oversight presents the history and context of public housing.
- Roles and Responsibilities addresses PHA board and staff functions.
- Public Housing Basics outlines key components of public housing.
Lead the Way then helps enhance skills in six key aspects of PHA governance and financial management:
- Asset Management
- Housing Choice Voucher Program
- Assessing Your PHA
- Know Your PHA
- Preventing Sexual and Other Discriminatory Harassment in Housing: Fair Housing Training for Public Housing Agency Executives, Officers, Commissioners, and Staff
Video vignettes, audio case studies, interactive worksheets, and online quizzes reinforce learning using real PHA staff and settings. And it is always at your fingertips by computer, tablet, or smartphone.
The User's Guide to Lead the Way provides assistance in finding your way around the curriculum.This guide includes information on:
- How do I access accessibility features of Lead the Way?
- What are the key areas covered?
- What can you expect to learn in each section?
- What are the resources you may wish to download and consult on each topic?
Access the Training, Get Credit, and Provide Feedback
Access the Training
- Click Go to Training.
- You will be prompted to either create or log into your HUD Exchange Learn account.
- If you need to create an account, Click Create an Account.
- Fill out the form, and click the Create Account button.
- Your account has been created. You will receive a confirmation email.
- After creating an account or logging in, the training will launch in a new window. Make sure your pop-up blockers are turned off.
Get Credit for Completing the Training
When the percent progress in the training header shows 100%, you have completed the training. Close the window. You will be taken to the training page in HUD Exchange Learn. The training should show as "Completed" under the Progress column. The training will appear in your HUD Exchange Learn transcript. If the training does not show as "Completed" please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organizations that host a group training session can submit a request for the completed training to be added to each attendee's HUD Exchange Learn transcript. To submit a request:
- Fill out the Lead the Way Group Training Completion Form.
- Email the Excel version to email@example.com. Do not send a scanned version of the document.
To facilitate filling out the form, we recommend requesting the following from your training attendees:
- Request attendees to create a HUD Exchange account if they haven't yet. In order to add a completed training to a user's HUD Exchange Learn transcript, the user must have a HUD Exchange account.
- Request the information needed for the Group Training Completion Form.
- HUD Exchange Username
- Email Used to Create HUD Exchange Account
- First Name
- Last Name
Provide Training Assessment and Feedback
After completing the self-paced training, provide your assessment and feedback. You can also provide feedback by closing the training window after completing the training. You will be taken to the training page in HUD Exchange Learn. Click the link under Activities.
Training Resources, Guides, and PowerPoint Slides
In addition to Lead the Way, HUD is offering various supporting resources that you can use to accompany and supplement the curriculum, including:
- Quick reference documents
- Story-led activities
- Training guides and PowerPoint slides for a five day training intended for public housing agency staff with financial management responsibility
Related Materials and Resources
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
For more information, please contact:
HUD Exchange Learn Technical Questions: https://www.hudexchange.info/contact-us/
Tags: Choice Neighborhoods FSS Housing Choice Voucher Program Jobs Plus Program MTW Public Housing Capital Fund Public Housing Operating Fund ROSS