Increasing Access to Pre-Purchase Counseling Symposium: A Closer Look at HCAs and Their Clients
July 27, 2022 | 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT
In this symposium, presenters took a closer look at how agencies deliver services and the client characteristics that impact effective service delivery. HUD’s Management Development Program (MDP) discussed racial equity (i.e., what does it mean to be equitable when providing housing counseling services). This included MDP’s equity in housing counseling survey findings, best practices, and takeaways from the equity in listening sessions.
Based on its own survey findings, Freddie Mac discussed the borrowers’ mortgage selection experience, highlighting how experiences differ between those who have engaged in homeownership counseling and education and those who have not. A panel of industry experts and housing counseling partners provided insights and responses on this topic.
- David Berenbaum, Deputy Assistant Secretary, HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC)
- Julienne Joseph, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Single-Family Housing, FHA
- Clair Weatherby, Lead Housing Counseling Specialist, ICF
- Adrenace (Shae) Williams, Housing Program Specialist, OHC
- Marc Boucher, Senior Management Analyst, HUD Office of Field Policy and Management (FPM)
- Ashley Couture, Supervisory Management Analyst, FPM
- Rashika Hall, Community Planning and Development Representative, HUD Office of Community Planning and Development (CPD)
- Lariece Brown, Quantitative Analytics Senior Director, Freddie Mac
- Pamela Cook, Director of Social Services, Chinese Community Center
- Simone Griffin, Vice President, Affiliate Relations, HomeFree-USA
- Gabe Del Rio, President and CEO, Homeownership Council of America
- Charles Harris, Executive Director, Housing Education and Economic Development, Inc.
Participants learned about:
- HUD's MDP equity in housing counseling survey findings, best practices, and take-aways from agency listening sessions
- Freddie Mac’s insights about mortgage ready trends and housing counseling clients
- Ways to create greater cultural sensitivity and enhance equity in housing counseling service provision
Who Should Attend?
This session was intended for HCAs and FHA Single Family Housing stakeholders.
Visit the Housing Counseling Archive page for more trainings presented by OHC.
A Webinar Certificate is available for this training. If you attended or completed the webinar, select the green Get Credit button. Once you have been enrolled and/or marked your completion, select Print Certificate.
Alternatively, if your completion has already been marked, log into your account and go to your Learning Transcript. Select the Course Name and click “Print Certificate”.
Not all HUD Exchange training offer Webinar Certificates.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Housing Counseling Symposium Registrar | firstname.lastname@example.org
Tags: Housing Counseling Program