HOME Homebuyer Program Workshop
September 24-25, 2019
Partnership for Public Service Conference Center
1100 New York Avenue NW
HUD’s Office of Affordable Housing Programs (OAHP) is pleased to offer a two-day Homebuyer Program Workshop targeted to HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) Participating Jurisdictions (PJs) and their subrecipients that manage direct homebuyer assistance programs, including direct assistance provided to homebuyer units developed with HOME funding (e.g., down payment assistance).
The workshop ensures PJs understand key regulatory requirements related to designing homebuyer assistance programs and includes hands-on exercises where PJs can begin to customize their local approaches to:
- Developing and implementing required homebuyer underwriting standards
- Establishing policies related to responsible lending and subordination
- Fitting resale/recapture policies to local market dynamics
- Revising and improving written agreements with HOME-assisted buyers
Workshop materials include a sample underwriting policy, underwriting template, and written agreement that PJs can adapt to fit their own local needs. Exercises allow participants to begin applying and adapting these tools to their own local market conditions.
Please plan to bring a Wi-Fi equipped laptop with access to both Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Increase their understanding of the requirements of CPD 18-09 and how to evaluate the underwriting implications of their policy decisions within the context of their local market conditions
- Improve their understanding of and compliance with the requirements of 24 CFR 92.254(f), leading to better local program design, compliance, and more sustainable assistance to low-income buyers
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is intended as an intermediate session for PJ and/or subrecipient staff with a working knowledge of HOME’s core regulatory requirements who are responsible for developing and implementing policies and procedures related to the provision of direct homebuyer assistance.
While the workshop material is applicable to projects where HOME is used to develop for-sale housing, it is not focused on underwriting the development phase of the transaction. It primarily focuses on the requirements applicable to sizing and structuring assistance to low-income buyers.
You must have a HUD Exchange account to register. Follow these instructions for registering.
Please note, your enrollment does not guarantee approval. You will receive a confirmation email once your enrollment has been approved. Please do not make any non-refundable travel arrangements until you receive an email confirmation notice. HUD cannot be responsible for penalties incurred due to cancelled arrangements.
Preference will be given to PJs. The number of staff attending per PJ may be limited based upon availability.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
For more information, please contact:
HOME Workshops Registrar | HOMEWorkshops@tdainc.org