Combating Appraisal Bias Series: The Generational Wealth Gap Roundtable
January 31, 2023 | 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM EST
Appraisal bias is a pervasive issue that contributes to the widening wealth gap in many communities of color across America. The average Black and Latiné families have, respectively, one tenth and one-eighth of the wealth of the average White family. Much of that wealth is related to home equity. Bias in home valuations limits the family’s ability to enjoy the financial returns associated with homeownership, thereby contributing to the already sprawling racial wealth gap.
This discussion will examine the topic of racial bias in the home appraisal process, what consumers need to know, and solutions to combat it. You will hear from a consumer with lived experience of appraisal bias. You will also hear from a variety of industry and government stakeholders, as they share their perspectives on how the issue is impacting homeownership opportunities in Black and Brown neighborhoods. Finally, learn what some housing counseling agencies (HCAs) are doing to help their clients fight back against appraisal bias.
View all trainings in the Combating Appraisal Bias Series: Identify, Empower, and Collaborate.
- David Berenbaum, Deputy Assistant Secretary, OHC, HUD
- Demetria L. McCain, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, FHEO, HUD
- Ayako Marsh Miranda, SRA, President, A&B Real Estate Group, Subcontractor to ICF
- Lauren Lewis, Chicago Homeowner
- Falon Young, Housing Policy Associate, Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago
- Joseph Lopez, Executive Director and CEO, Spanish Coalition for Housing
- Jacqulyn Priestly, Principal and Owner, Oakhill Strategies
- Alexia Smokler, Director, Fair Housing Policy & Programs, National Association of REALTORS®
Participants will learn:
- What appraisal bias is
- How appraisal bias contributes to the racial wealth gap
- How consumers are being impacted
- What consumers can do to address biased appraisals
Who Should Attend?
This training is intended for HUD-approved HCAs.
You must have a HUD Exchange account to register. Follow these instructions for registering.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Combating Appraisal Bias Series Registrar | email@example.com
Tags: Fair Housing Housing Counseling Program