On May 20, 2009, the Homeless Emergency Assistance and Rapid Transition to Housing (HEARTH) Act of 2009 was signed. The HEARTH Act amends and reauthorizes the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act with substantial changes, including:
- A consolidation of HUD's competitive grant programs;
- The creation of a Rural Housing Stability Assistance Program;
- A change in HUD's definition of homelessness and chronic homelessness;
- A simplified match requirement;
- An increase in prevention resources; and,
- An increase in emphasis on performance.
Note - The HEARTH Act begins on page 32 of the PDF.
Homelessness Prevention and Assistance - Addressing Community Needs
Program Requirements - Eligible Activities/Uses