How does my organization appeal HUD's suitability determination?
For properties that are identified as unsuitable, there is a 20-day holding period from the date of the listing to allow homeless service providers the opportunity to appeal HUD's unsuitable determination.
What must organizations submit with the appeals?
- Cover letter on your organization’s letterhead, on 1-3 pages, that includes:
- property’s name;
- HUD property number;
- the date HUD listed the property on the HUD Exchange;
- the property’s location; and
- the landholding agency;
- Reason(s) your organization believes the property is suitable to assist persons experiencing homelessness; and
- Any supporting documentation or other relevant information (e.g., clear pictures) that supports the appeal.
Where do organizations submit appeals?
Organizations may submit appeal packages using one of the following three options:
- Electronic submission to email@example.com.
- By mail to:
Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs
Title V Lead
Office of Community Planning and Development
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street SW, Room 7262
Washington, DC 20410
- Call the Title V toll-free number at 1-800-927-7588. Note: if organizations opt to submit an appeal through the toll-free number, there will be follow up steps discussed at the time of the call for HUD to receive the hard copy of the appeal package.
- Through the Ask A Question portal on the HUD Exchange.
What happens after my organization submits an appeal?
HUD will immediately contact the landholding agency regarding the appeal request and direct the agency to refrain from initiating disposal procedures until HUD has completed its reconsideration of its unsuitability determination and request additional information about the property.
HUD will act on all appeals within 30 days of receipt of the landholding agency's response and will notify the representative of the homeless and the landholding agency in writing of its decision.
If HUD determines that the property is suitable as a result of the appeal review, HUD will request the landholding agency's determination of availability in accordance with §581.7(a). Upon receipt of the landholding agency’s availability, HUD will post the determination on the HUD Exchange. If the determination of unsuitability stands, HUD will inform the representative of the homeless of its decision.