Resident Council and Housing Authority Case Studies
Across the country, residents of public housing and housing authorities are working together to support resident engagement and improve residents’ quality of life. While the structure of resident councils and the work they focus on is often very similar there are also big differences. These case studies give examples of how resident councils are organized and the work that they are doing. They also detail the partnerships between the PHA and resident councils.
Some specific topics include:
- How jurisdiction-wide resident councils operate
- How tenant participation funds are distributed and used
- Resident council partnerships with the PHA
- Resident council partnerships with community organizations
These documents are provided for informational purposes only and are not official, or required, HUD documents.
- Charleston-Kanawha, WV: Resident Councils Partner for Impact
- Chicago, IL: A History of Resident Organizing
- Cincinnati, OH: Jurisdiction-Wide Resident Council Organizing
- Fall River, MA: Joint Tenant Council and Statewide Training
- St Paul, MN: Housing Authority Support for Resident Engagement