Guide 9: Tenant Participation Funds


To support resident participation, HUD provides funding to PHAs for resident participation activities. Part of this funding is reserved for resident councils. This transfer of funds from the housing authority to the resident council and the related agreements, creates a partnership between the housing authority and resident council to support resident involvement in creating a positive living environment and in actively participating in the overall mission of public housing.

Key Points

  • The housing authority and resident council must have a written agreement that establishes how funds will be used and distributed
  • Tenant participation funds can be used to support a range of resident council operations and activities
  • When both property-based resident council(s) and a jurisdiction-wide council exist, the housing authority and the councils must agree on how to divide the tenant participation funds
  • Resident councils will need to work with the PHA to develop policies related to financial management of tenant participation funds

Related Toolkit Resources