The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Homeownership program provides vouchers to families admitted to the HCV program so that they can purchase a home and receive monthly assistance in meeting homeownership expenses.
To participate, the families must:
- Meet specific income and employment requirements (the employment requirement does not apply to elderly and disabled families)
- Be a first-time homeowner as defined in the regulation
- Meet the eligibility requirements set by the public housing authority (PHA), such as attending and completing the pre-assistance homeownership and housing counseling program
These resources are provided to PHAs to support them in developing a HCV Homeownership program.
These resources are educational only and PHAs should refer to HUD Regulations and Notices as the official source of information and contact their HUD Field Office if further assistance is needed.
Featured HCV Homeownership Resources
HCV Homeownership Webinar
In this webinar, PHAs learn how to develop successful relationships with lenders, utilize down payment assistance and other financial resources for homebuyers, and address the affordability gap to maintain and expand the HCV Homeownership program.
HCV Homeownership Guidebook
This Guidebook provides assistance to PHAs that are thinking about starting a homeownership program, and also to PHAs that have taken the first tentative steps and are wondering what to do next.
The Guidebook provides:
- A hands-on approach to program development
- Resources that will be helpful to PHAs in identifying and resolving program issues
Explore These Topics:
- HCV Homeownership Program Basics
- Planning For a Homeownership Program
- Program Management
- Homeownership Counseling
- Housing Choices
- Post-Purchase Administration
- Policy Development and Reporting Requirements