12a.   Program Overview

The Assisted Living Conversion Program (ALCP) is authorized under Section 202b of the Housing Act of 1959, as amended by the Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly Act of 2010. HUD's Office of Multifamily Housing is responsible for administering the ALCP.
The purpose of HUD’s Assisted Living Conversion Program (ALCP) is to provide private, nonprofit owners of eligible developments with a grant to convert some or all of the dwelling units in the project into an Assisted Living Facility (ALF) or Service-Enriched Housing (SEH) for elderly residents aging in place. All ALFs and SEH must have sufficient community space to accommodate provisions of meals and supportive services.

For more information, visit the ALCP Program page on HUD’s website.

How Does HUD Define Assisted Living Facilities?

Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) are designed to accommodate frail elderly and people with disabilities who can live independently but need assistance with activities of daily living (e.g., assistance with bathing, grooming, dressing, eating and home management activities). ALFs must provide support services such as personal care, transportation, meals, housekeeping and laundry. An ALF must be licensed and regulated by the State (or if there is no State law providing such licensing and regulation, by the municipality or other subdivision in which the facility is located).

How Does HUD Define Service-Enriched Housing?

Service-Enriched Housing (SEH) is housing that accommodates the provision of services to elderly residents who need assistance with activities of daily living in order to live independently.

What Costs Does ALCP Funding Cover?

ALCP funding provides for the physical costs of converting some or all of the units of an eligible development into an ALF or SEH, including the unit configuration, common and services space, as well as meeting other requirements described in the NOFA and any necessary remodeling, consistent with HUD or the State's statute/regulations (whichever is more stringent). Funding for support services, which cannot come from HUD, must be coordinated by the owners or residents – either directly or through a third party.