Housing Linked with Services for Persons with Disabilities

Supportive Services Partners

Supportive Services Partners

How can we obtain assistance related to service provision at our property?

There may come a time when your service partner undergoes a transition such as merging with another agency, changing its mission, or having difficulty delivering services for another reason. At these times, you may need the assistance of a state agency to identify a new services partner. A state agency can assist you to identify one or more alternative local service partners or help to address concerns with the current service partner. Links below can connect you to the state agency contact based on the types of services provided, if your program serves people with:

Can we modify our property's target population?

You may serve any population that fits within the definition of persons with disabilities found at 24 CFR part 891.305. When HUD selected your project for funding, the sponsor’s application identified a specific population that would be served by your supportive services plan. A change in target population will require an updated supportive services plan.

Changing the population identified in your supportive services plan may also mean a change in service provider. You are urged to contact the appropriate state agency (see above) to discuss any change in your program.

Do we need to have a supportive services plan for our project?

Yes. In order to ensure that housing will serve the population in the most integrated setting appropriate to the needs and choices of individuals with disabilities in accordance with Section 504 and Title II of the ADA, HUD requires owners of housing for persons with disabilities to provide a supportive services plan for their projects. The plan must be submitted as part of the original funding application, updated regularly and revised (and possibly resubmitted to HUD) when there are significant program modifications such as a change in the target population or a request for 210 Transfer Authority.

How else can I find service providers in my state?

  • State Medicaid agencies are often the funders of the support services for persons with disabilities, although they may provide the funds through intermediaries such as disability-specific state agencies or managed care organizations.
  • The aging and disability networks are made up of local, state, and national organizations and committed advocates working to support older adults and persons with disabilities. Some organizations focus on a particular type of disability, age group, or type of service, whereas others have a more comprehensive mission.
  • The National Disability Rights Network (NDRN) is the nonprofit membership organization for the federally mandated Protection and Advocacy (P&A) Systems and Client Assistance Programs (CAP). There is a P&A/CAP agency in every state and U.S. territory as well as one serving the Native American population in the four corners region. Collectively, the P&A/CAP network is the largest provider of legally based advocacy services to persons with disabilities in the U.S.