This page is updated weekly to reflect trainings hosted by:
- HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC)
- OHC-funded training partners
- Other partners that host trainings of interest to housing counselors
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify HUD about upcoming training and events for housing counselors.
Content current as of December 2, 2019
Subscribe to the Housing Counseling Mailing List to receive training updates in your inbox.
HUD Office of Housing Counseling Training
Register for Upcoming Trainings
View New Training Material
Non-Housing Counseling Trainings of Interest
This webinar helps participants review federal lead regulations and discuss the Lead Safe Housing Rule (LSHR) Amendment for pre-1978 housing. Presenters provide a step-by-step explanation of how public housing agencies (PHAs), grantees, and owners respond to cases of elevated blood lead levels in children less than 6 years old living in a federally assisted housing unit.
OHC-Funded Partner Trainings
NeighborWorks Training Institutes (NTIs) are topic and skill focused classes with 10-30 fellow learners. Each NTI offers a selection of more than 100 courses, a one-day symposium, free after-course workshops on innovative tools and methods, and peer networking opportunities. Inquire with NeighborWorks about scholarship opportunities.
Scholarships are available for two new webinars.
NeighborWorks Self-guided Courses
Self-guided courses provide a comprehensive overview in a variety of subject matter areas. The courses take approximately 2-4 hours of online time to complete, and registrants have 60 days following registration to manage the time. Participants will walk away with real skills and continuing education credits. All self-guided courses cost $195.
The National Community Reinvestment Coalition and its grassroots member organizations create opportunities for people to build wealth. We work with community leaders, policymakers, and financial institutions to champion fairness in banking, housing, and business. NCRC’s National Training Academy offers state-of-the-art training and technical assistance online via webinars and instructor-led. Our mission is to provide a comprehensive training program that meets the needs of organizations committed to increasing access to credit in communities.
NCRC National Training Academy: Pathway to HUD Certification for Housing Counselors
- December 4, 2019: CRA & AFFH Training - Cincinnati, OH
- January 28-29, 2019: CRA for Bankers - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Strategic Planning Goal Setting
- Preparing for the HUD Exam Webinar Series - Part I: Housing Counselor Certification Update
- Preparing for the HUD Exam Webinar Series - Part II: HUD Manual Updates
- Assessing Your Non-Profit Organization's Capacity
- Conducting a Non-Profit Board of Directors Needs Assessment
- Conducting a Non-Profit Fundraising Needs Assessment
The NHN Learning Alliance (NHNLA) is a national training and certification program for housing counselors. NHNLA courses are developed in collaboration with NCLR Homeownership Network (NHN) housing counseling agencies located in major cities and rural communities throughout the U.S.
Upcoming Webinar Series
For registration questions, contact the Training Department:
Phone: (916) 447-9832 x 1429
For content questions, contact Debie Baranchulk:
Phone: (916) 447-9832 x 1019
Scholarships for on-site classes are available to those employed by a HUD-approved counseling agency.
New trainings coming soon!
Other Training Partner Trainings
Diversified Resource Network (DRN), formerly The Counselor's Corner
Membership is free and all CreditSmart® webinars are free. Cost to attend other webinars is $50 each. Membership is required to register for webinars. Most webinars have a short online test afterwards to get continued education hours' credit and Certificates of Completion. To see all posted webinars, please go to the DRN master webinar calendar. At this time, scholarships are not available.
Free Recorded Webinar Videos
For questions regarding training please contact Tammy Repine of the USDA RD Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division at: (360) 753-7677 or at: email@example.com.
The Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division is excited to announce four new webinar trainings which have been posted to the Forms and Resources page:
- Determining Annual, Adjusted, and Repayment Income
- Credit Requirements
- How to Become an Intermediary
- The Role of the Intermediary
Other Available USDA Trainings
FHA webinars are open to FHA-approved servicers and FHA-approved housing counselors. A valid company email address and FHA 5-digit lender and/or agency ID are required at the time of registration.
For additional information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Freddie Mac's Affordable Lending and Access to Credit Team is sponsoring Home Team Advantage, one day workshops bringing together national and local housing professionals to learn, explore, and collaborate on new ways to open doors for more underserved individuals, families, and homebuyers in distressed markets.
VHDA has posted training videos for non-profit agencies and consumers. Visit their YouTube channel to view all their current training offerings for housing counseling.
Virtual Tax-Exempt 501(c)(3) Workshops are available for educational institutions and will help non-profits apply for and maintain their 501(c)(3) status.
Access the free, self-paced online housing course to learn about a variety of housing topics.
FEMA offers free self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public.
FEMA also offers a weekly podcast on disaster planning. The FEMA Podcast is a new audio program series available to anyone interested in learning more about the agency, hearing about innovation in the field of emergency management, and listening to stories about communities and individuals recovering after disasters.
The Catholic Charities USA (CCUSA) Applied Institute for Disaster Excellence (AIDE) is designed as a "for the network, by the network" training to increase the disaster resiliency of Catholic Charities agencies. The training is designed to meet the needs of all attendees from first-timers to those with years of disaster experience.
The OCC's Financial Literacy Update is a bimonthly e-newsletter that reports financial literacy events, initiatives, resources and events and training.
NeighborWorks Course List
NeighborWorks America (NWA) certificates of completion and professional certifications include key identifiers such NWA banners or emblems. They may also include signatures of senior leadership, though note that certificates issued by since late 2018 no longer list individual staff signatures. Questions about certificates may be directed to email@example.com.
- HO111 Home Equity Conversion Mortgages
- HO209b-rq Delivering Effective Financial Education for Today's Consumers
- HO270 Senior Services for Housing Counselors
- HO275 Intermediate HECM Counseling: Skills and Tools
- HO310 Financial Coaching: Helping Clients Reach Their Goals
- HO102el Mortgage Lending Fundamentals for Homeownership Professionals
- HO104el HECM: Counseling Basics Overview
- HO130el Understanding Credit Reports and Credit Scoring
- HO180el Engaging Older Adults in Financial Capability Programs
- HO009WT HECM and the Non-Borrower Spouse: What Counselors Need to Know
- HO011WT Maximizing the Effectiveness of Telephone Counseling with HECM Clients
- HO013WT Explaining the Basics of the Financial Assessment to Your HECM Clients
- HO014WT HECM to HECM Refinance Counseling
- HO016WT HECM Default and Foreclosure
- HO022WT Introduction to HUD's HECM Counseling Procedures and Roster
- HO024WT Helping Clients Compare HECM Lenders, Loan Costs, and Loan Benefits
UnidosUS Course List
National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association (NRMLA) Course List
Visit the NRMLA website to access the following trainings:
- HECM & Ethics
- HECM Regulatory Updates
- HECM for Purchase
- HECM Math