This page is updated weekly to reflect trainings hosted by:
- HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC)
- OHC-funded training partners
- Other partners that host trainings of interest to housing counselors
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify HUD about upcoming training and events for housing counselors.
Content current as of February 18, 2019
Subscribe to the Housing Counseling Mailing List to receive training updates in your inbox.
HUD Office of Housing Counseling Training
Register for Upcoming Trainings
View New Training Material
Non-Housing Counseling Trainings of Interest
This training and guidebook draw on lessons learned by experienced Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) coordinators as well as program evaluations and other evidence about "what works" to describe promising practices for supporting FSS participants and helping them increase their earnings and build assets and financial capability.
OHC-Funded Partner Trainings
NeighborWorks Training Institutes (NTIs) are topic- and skill-focused classes with 10-30 fellow learners. Each NTI offers a selection of more than 100 courses, a one-day symposium, free after-course workshops on innovative tools and methods, and peer networking opportunities. Inquire with NeighborWorks about scholarship opportunities.
Upcoming NTI Dates
Neighborworks Self-guided Courses
For registration questions, contact the Training Department at (916) 447-9832 x 1429 or email@example.com. For content questions, contact Judy Hunter at (916) 447-9832 x 1015 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarships for on-site classes are available to those employed by a HUD-approved counseling agency.
The NHN Learning Alliance (NHNLA) is a national training and certification program for housing counselors. NHNLA courses are developed in collaboration with NCLR Homeownership Network (NHN) housing counseling agencies located in major cities and rural communities throughout the U.S.
Upcoming Trainings and Webinars
Housing Counseling Training - Portland, OR
- April 8-9, 2019: Introduction to Client Financial Counseling for Low-Income Families
- April 8-9, 2019: Methods in Effective Rental Counseling
- April 8-9, 2019: HUD Housing Counseling Certification Prep Course
- April 10-12, 2019: Introduction to Financial Coaching and Client Advocacy
- April 10-12, 2019: Housing Counseling Program Management
- April 10-12, 2019: Fundamentals of Pre-Purchase Homebuyer Counseling
The National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC) National Training Academy offers substantive state-of-the-art training and technical assistance both on-site and online via webinars. NCRC seeks to "train the trainers" and expand the availability and reach of information on current developments in community reinvestment.
In Person Events
NCRC's Annual Conference: 2019 Just Economy Conference - Washington, DC
- March 11-15, 2019: HC113: Preparing Housing Counselors for the HUD Exam
- March 11-12, 2019: Student Loan Lending: Understanding the Basics and Managing the Debt
- March 13-15, 2019: Managing a Successful Housing Counseling Program
Housing Counseling Training - Atlanta, GA
- April 1-2, 2019: Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
- April 1-2, 2019: Reaching Consumers Using Social Media and Marketing Materials
- April 1-5, 2019: Preparing Housing Counselors for the HUD Certification Exam
- April 1-5, 2019: Financial Fitness
- April 4-6, 2019: Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Counseling
- April 4-6, 2019: Providing Housing Counseling to Homeowners Transitioning into Rental Housing
Other Training Partner Trainings
Training, Membership and all webinars are free. Most webinars have a short online test afterwards to get continued education hours' credit and Certificates of Completion. To see all webinars at a glance, please go to the TCC master webinar calendar.
Recorded Webinar Videos
For questions regarding training please contact Tammy Repine of the USDA RD Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division at: (360) 753-7677 or at: email@example.com.
The Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division is excited to announce four new webinar trainings which have been posted to the Forms and Resources page:
- Determining Annual, Adjusted, and Repayment Income
- Credit Requirements
- How to Become an Intermediary
- The Role of the Intermediary
Other Available USDA Trainings
The Military Housing Podcast is an entertaining and educational series of conversations focused on military off-base housing.
FHA webinars are open to FHA-approved servicers and FHA-approved housing counselors. A valid company email address and FHA 5-digit lender and/or agency ID are required at the time of registration.
- February 20, 2019: Single Family Default Monitoring System - Reporting Examples
- February 27, 2019: Single Family Default Monitoring System - Reporting Errors
- March 6, 2019: Single Family Default Monitoring System - Neglected Defaults
- March 13, 2019: FHA’s Claims Without Conveyance of Title
- March 20, 2019: Webinar VII: HUD Extension of Time and Variance Request System Training
For additional information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The OCC's Financial Literacy Update is a bimonthly e-newsletter that reports financial literacy events, initiatives, resources and events and training.
Virtual Tax-Exempt 501(c)(3) Workshops are available for educational institutions and will help non-profit apply for and maintain their 501(c)(3) status.
Access the free, self-paced online housing course to learn about a variety of housing topics.
FEMA offers free self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public.
FEMA also offers a weekly podcast on disaster planning. The FEMA Podcast is a new audio program series available to anyone interested in learning more about the agency, hearing about innovation in the field of emergency management, and listening to stories about communities and individuals recovering after disasters.
Visit FHCNA for registration and more information on upcoming events.
VHDA has posted training videos for non-profit agencies and consumers. Visit their YouTube channel to view all their current training offerings for housing counseling.
NeighborWorks Course List
- HO111 Home Equity Conversion Mortgages
- HO209b-rq Delivering Effective Financial Education for Today's Consumers
- HO270 Senior Services for Housing Counselors
- HO275 Intermediate HECM Counseling: Skills and Tools
- HO310 Financial Coaching: Helping Clients Reach Their Goals
- HO102el Mortgage Lending Fundamentals for Homeownership Professionals
- HO104el HECM: Counseling Basics Overview
- HO130el Understanding Credit Reports and Credit Scoring
- HO180el Engaging Older Adults in Financial Capability Programs
- HO009WT HECM and the Non-Borrower Spouse: What Counselors Need to Know
- HO011WT Maximizing the Effectiveness of Telephone Counseling with HECM Clients
- HO013WT Explaining the Basics of the Financial Assessment to Your HECM Clients
- HO014WT HECM to HECM Refinance Counseling
- HO016WT HECM Default and Foreclosure
- HO022WT Introduction to HUD's HECM Counseling Procedures and Roster
UnidosUS Course List
National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association (NRMLA) Course List
Visit the NRMLA website to access the following trainings:
- HECM & Ethics
- HECM Regulatory Updates
- HECM for Purchase
- HECM Math