This page is updated weekly to reflect trainings hosted by:
- HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC)
- OHC-funded training partners
- Other partners that host trainings of interest to housing counselors
Please email email@example.com to notify HUD about upcoming training and events for housing counselors.
Content current as of April 15, 2019
Subscribe to the Housing Counseling Mailing List to receive training updates in your inbox.
HUD Office of Housing Counseling Training
Register for Upcoming Trainings
Non-Housing Counseling Trainings of Interest
In this webinar, participants will learn about the need for behavioral health-focused outreach and engagement, as well as how to implement outreach and engagement strategies and build relationships with clients.
OHC-Funded Partner Trainings
NeighborWorks Training Institutes (NTIs) are topic and skill focused classes with 10-30 fellow learners. Each NTI offers a selection of more than 100 courses, a one-day symposium, free after-course workshops on innovative tools and methods, and peer networking opportunities. Inquire with NeighborWorks about scholarship opportunities.
Online Courses and Webinars
Building Competency in Housing Counseling webinars
- April 16, 2019: Fair Housing (HO003wt)
- April 23, 2019: Avoiding Foreclosure (HO006wt)
- April 30, 2019: Tenancy (HO005wt)
- May 8, 2019: Financial Management (HO004wt)
- May 15, 2019: Homeownership (HO007wt)
- May 22, 2019: Housing Affordability (HO002wt)
June 3-7, 2019: Minneapolis, MN Training Event - HO200, HO210, HO250 (Save the Date)
NeighborWorks Self-guided Courses
Self-guided courses provide a comprehensive in a variety of subject matter areas. The courses take approximately 2-4 hours of online time to complete, and registrants have 60 days following registration to manage the time. Participants will walk away with real skills continuing education credits. All self-guided courses cost $195.
The NCRC National Training Academy offers substantive state-of-the-art training and technical assistance both on-site and online via webinars. NCRC seeks to "train the trainers" and expand the availability and reach of information on current developments in community reinvestment.
Housing Counseling Training - St. Louis, MO
- May 6-7, 2019: Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
- May 6-7, 2019: Reaching Consumers Using Social Media and Marketing Materials
- May 6-7, 2019: Debt Management
- May 6-10, 2019: Foreclosure Intervention
- May 6-10, 2019: Preparing Housing Counselors for the HUD Certification Exam
- May 8-10, 2019: Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Counseling
- May 8-10, 2019: Understanding Credit and Its Impact on Today's Consumer
Recorded Webinars Available until April, 30 2019
The NHN Learning Alliance (NHNLA) is a national training and certification program for housing counselors. NHNLA courses are developed in collaboration with NCLR Homeownership Network (NHN) housing counseling agencies located in major cities and rural communities throughout the U.S.
Upcoming Trainings and Webinars
For registration questions, contact the Training Department:
Phone: (916) 447-9832 x 1429
For content questions, contact Judy Hunter:
Phone: (916) 447-9832 x 1015
Scholarships for on-site classes are available to those employed by a HUD-approved counseling agency.
Other Training Partner Trainings
Diversified Resource Network (DRN) formerly The Counselor's Corner
Membership is free and all CreditSmart® webinars are free. Cost to attend other webinars is $50 each. Membership is required to register for webinars. Most webinars have a short online test afterwards to get continued education hours' credit and Certificates of Completion. To see all posted webinars, please go to the DRN master webinar calendar. At this time, scholarships are not available.
April 17, 2019: Disaster Recovery Road
April 23, 2019: All About HECM
April 30, 2019: How to Make Your Case for Funding Your Program
Free Recorded Webinar Videos
For questions regarding training please contact Tammy Repine of the USDA RD Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division at: (360) 753-7677 or at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division is excited to announce four new webinar trainings which have been posted to the Forms and Resources page:
- Determining Annual, Adjusted, and Repayment Income
- Credit Requirements
- How to Become an Intermediary
- The Role of the Intermediary
Other Available USDA Trainings
The Military Housing Podcast is an entertaining and educational series of conversations focused on military off-base housing.
FHA webinars are open to FHA-approved servicers and FHA-approved housing counselors. A valid company email address and FHA 5-digit lender and/or agency ID are required at the time of registration.
- April 17, 2019: Webinar II.2: HUD Loss Mitigation – FHA HAMP Option
- May 1, 2019: Webinar III: HUD Loss Mitigation – Home Disposition Options
- May 8, 2019: Webinar IV: Neighborhood Watch System – Servicer Tools
- May 15, 2019: Webinar V.1: Single Family Default Monitoring System (SFDMS) - Reporting Basics
- May 22, 2019: Webinar V.2: SFDMS - Reporting Examples
- May 29, 2019: Webinar V.3: SFDMS - Reporting Errors
- June 5, 2019: Webinar V.4: SFDMS - Neglected Defaults
- June 12, 2019: Webinar VI: FHA’s Claims Without Conveyance of Title
- June 19, 2019: Webinar VII: HUD Extension of Time and Variance Request System Training
For additional information, please email: email@example.com
The OCC's Financial Literacy Update is a bimonthly e-newsletter that reports financial literacy events, initiatives, resources and events and training.
Virtual Tax-Exempt 501(c)(3) Workshops are available for educational institutions and will help non-profit apply for and maintain their 501(c)(3) status.
Access the free, self-paced online housing course to learn about a variety of housing topics.
FEMA offers free self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public.
FEMA also offers a weekly podcast on disaster planning. The FEMA Podcast is a new audio program series available to anyone interested in learning more about the agency, hearing about innovation in the field of emergency management, and listening to stories about communities and individuals recovering after disasters.
Visit FHCNA for registration and more information on upcoming events.
VHDA has posted training videos for non-profit agencies and consumers. Visit their YouTube channel to view all their current training offerings for housing counseling.
NeighborWorks Course List
NeighborWorks America (NWA) certificates of completion and professional certifications include key identifiers such NWA banners or emblems. They may also include signatures of senior leadership, though note that certificates issued by since late 2018 no longer list individual staff signatures. Questions about certificates may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HO111 Home Equity Conversion Mortgages
- HO209b-rq Delivering Effective Financial Education for Today's Consumers
- HO270 Senior Services for Housing Counselors
- HO275 Intermediate HECM Counseling: Skills and Tools
- HO310 Financial Coaching: Helping Clients Reach Their Goals
- HO102el Mortgage Lending Fundamentals for Homeownership Professionals
- HO104el HECM: Counseling Basics Overview
- HO130el Understanding Credit Reports and Credit Scoring
- HO180el Engaging Older Adults in Financial Capability Programs
- HO009WT HECM and the Non-Borrower Spouse: What Counselors Need to Know
- HO011WT Maximizing the Effectiveness of Telephone Counseling with HECM Clients
- HO013WT Explaining the Basics of the Financial Assessment to Your HECM Clients
- HO014WT HECM to HECM Refinance Counseling
- HO016WT HECM Default and Foreclosure
- HO022WT Introduction to HUD's HECM Counseling Procedures and Roster
UnidosUS Course List
National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association (NRMLA) Course List
Visit the NRMLA website to access the following trainings:
- HECM & Ethics
- HECM Regulatory Updates
- HECM for Purchase
- HECM Math