Quarter 2 2021, Volume 9 Issue 2
Engaging with HUD Multifamily Owners and Managers in Rental Housing Counseling
HUD-approved housing counseling agencies (HCAs) across the country are partnering with owners and managers of HUD Multifamily-assisted and FHA Multifamily-insured properties to provide a wide range of services to tenants, such as:
- Helping tenants access rent and utility payment assistance
- Working with clients to develop and manage budgets
- Assisting clients in repairing their credit
These partnerships can benefit all stakeholders as they help tenants stay in their rental units through challenging times. At the same time, owners and managers avoid costly unit turnovers or legal fees associated with eviction.
Rental counseling and eviction prevention continue to be a priority for HUD’s Office of Housing Counseling (OHC) and HCAs as many renters continue to struggle to make rent payments because of the financial impacts of the COVID-19 national emergency. OHC is providing updated training and resources on the Rental Housing Counseling and Eviction Prevention page to ensure housing counselors are informed and prepared to serve their clients.
Readying Your Organization for Rental Housing Counseling Webinar Series
HUD’s new five-part webinar series to educates attendees on:
- Learning the basics of rental housing counseling
- Using eviction data and tools to support rental housing counseling
- Partnering with homeless service systems to prevent evictions
- Building more holistic programs through community partnerships
- Reporting meaningful outcomes of rental housing counseling in agency 9902 data