HUD's Office of Environment and Energy has developed an online system for developing, documenting, and managing environmental reviews. It covers all levels of environmental reviews for both Part 50 and Part 58 projects and includes on-screen guidance for completing HUD environmental reviews.
Responsible Entity Users
HEROS is currently available for staff of CPD entitlement communities (Responsible Entities - REs) in all regions. If you work for a CPD entitlement and would like to request HEROS access, please use the HEROS Access Form.
HEROS is only available to responsible entities, grantees, applicants, consultants or users working with state-administered, Native American, or Public Housing on a programmatic basis (see below for more information). For further information, submit a question through Ask a Question by selecting My question is related to HEROS.
The following list provides information on the Part 58 programs for which Responsible Entities may now complete environmental reviews in HEROS:
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) (including CDBG Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) and Section 108 but not the State-Small Cities Program): HEROS is open to CPD entitlement staff to complete all environmental reviews for CDBG funded activities.
- HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME): HEROS is open to CPD entitlement staff to complete all environmental reviews for HOME funded activities except State- Administered HOME.
- Continuum of Care (CoC): Because of the specialized "limited scope" forms that were developed for leasing and rental assistance projects funded by the CoC program, which are not HEROS-compatible, using HEROS to complete reviews for CoC projects is not recommended. As with all Part 58 CPD Programs, HEROS may be used on an optional basis.
- Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity Program (SHOP): Part 58 SHOP Reviews can be entered into HEROS at this time, but please note that SHOP grantees do not yet have access to HEROS. Grantees are encouraged to submit information using HEROS-compatible worksheets posted on the HUD Exchange.
- Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Programs: HEROS can be used by entitlement REs who complete environmental reviews for Public Housing projects, as long as the necessary HUD PIH staff have HEROS access to certify the review. HEROS is only available to PHA users and other non-entitlement users for Public Housing projects on a case-by-case basis at this time. HUD anticipates a full Part 58 PIH rollout for PHAs and other partner users to begin in Summer 2019.
- Office of Native American Programs (ONAP): HEROS is only open to ONAP users participating in the HEROS pilot at this time. HUD anticipates a full rollout for ONAP and associated partner users to begin in late Summer 2019.
HEROS is available for HUD Staff to prepare Part 50 environmental reviews for the following programs:
- CPD Programs: CPD staff is required to use HEROS to complete Part 50 reviews for CPD Programs (including CoC for leasing and rental assistance). CPD grantees and their consultants are encouraged to get access to HEROS to assist HUD with these reviews as available, and those who cannot yet get HEROS access are encouraged to submit information using HEROS-partner worksheets posted on the HUD Exchange.
- Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD): HEROS is currently open to Transaction Managers (TMs) to complete RAD reviews. TMs are required to use HEROS to complete all their Part 50 reviews.
- Multifamily Federal Housing Administration (FHA) programs: Multifamily staff is required to use HEROS to complete all environmental reviews prepared following the Multifamily Accelerated Processing (MAP) Guide, revised in May 2016.
- Healthcare Programs: Healthcare staff is required to use HEROS to complete all environmental reviews prepared following Chapter 7 of the Healthcare Mortgage Insurance Program Handbook (4232.1), revised in January 2017. Note that Healthcare partner users cannot yet access HEROS but can assist HUD staff complete environmental reviews by submitting HEROS-partner worksheets with applications.
- PIH programs: PIH staff is required to use HEROS to complete Part 50 reviews for PIH programs (excluding ONAP).
HUD staff who require HEROS access should work with their program office to request access.
HEROS is available for Partner Users (e.g. consultants, lenders, PHAs, applicants, and other recipients) to prepare environmental reviews for the following select programs. Partners working with any of the programs listed below may request HEROS access using the HEROS Access Form.
- Multifamily FHA Programs: HEROS is available to consultants preparing FHA Multifamily environmental reviews. Please work with your HUD Program contact to get HEROS access. Partner users who do not yet have HEROS access can assist HUD staff complete environmental reviews by submitting HEROS-partner worksheets with applications.
- RAD: HEROS is available to consultants and PHAs preparing Part 50 reviews for the RAD Program.
- ONAP: HEROS is only available to consultants, TDHEs, and PHAs preparing ONAP environmental reviews as part of the Summer 2018 pilot program.
- CPD Programs: At this time, HEROS is required to for the following CPD programs:
- SHOP: Part 50 SHOP Reviews must be entered into HEROS at this time. SHOP Grantees who are working with a local HUD field office on Part 50 Environmental Clearance are required to submit documentation via HEROS.
- Veterans Housing Rehabilitation and Modification Pilot (VHRMP): Part 50 VHRMP Reviews must be entered into HEROS at this time. Recipients are required to submit documentation via HEROS for Part 50 Environmental Clearance.
- For all other CPD programs, including CDBG and HOME, HEROS is available to consultants and other non-RE recipients on a rolling basis. Please wait for information from your Regional CPD office about HEROS registration. HUD anticipates that HEROS will be available to all CPD partners by October 2019.
- 202 Program: HEROS is available to 202 Program applicants and their consultants preparing Part 50 reviews for the 202 Program.
Environmental Review Records
HEROS increases transparency of environmental reviews by posting them on the HUD Exchange for public review. Environmental assessments and categorically excluded projects completed through HEROS are posted online during public comment periods and archived for a year after completion.
Search Environmental Review Records
HEROS Training Resources
A suite of HEROS training materials are available for Responsible Entity users and HUD staff:
HEROS Part 58 User Guide
Provides information on how to use HEROS. The pdf provides screenshots, and links throughout the document that link to the next chronological screen in HEROS.
Updated quarterly with HEROS questions that come in during live webinars and through the AAQ Portal. See information about submitting questions below, keep your questions coming!
If you are experiencing a technical problem with HEROS or have a question about using the system you can submit a question through Ask a Question by selecting My question is related to HEROS.