2014 HIC and PIT Count Data: Due Today!
I. Submitting 2014 Data to HUD
All 2014 Housing Inventory Count (HIC) and Point-in-Time (PIT) count data must be submitted to HUD via HUD’s Homelessness Data Exchange (HDX) web portal by Today, April 30, 2014 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. Meeting the HIC and PIT data submission deadline is a factor considered by HUD in the annual Continuum of Care (CoC) Program Competition.
Submitting the HIC and the PIT data in HDX is a two-step process; your organization must perform both steps in order for its submission to be considered complete and timely:
- HIC data must be submitted via the HIC Reporting Status page
- PIT data must be submitted via the PIT Reporting Status page
II. 2014 HIC and PIT Data Submission Guidance and Webinar
- Guidance on entering HIC and PIT data via the HDX is available for download in the 2014 HIC and PIT Data Submission Guidance on the OneCPD Resource Exchange.
- The Reporting Housing Inventory Count and Point-in-Time Count Data in HUD’s HDX Webinar also provides a summary of the 2014 HIC and PIT data submission requirements.
III. 2014 HIC and PIT Data Collection Notice
- Additional information regarding the HIC and PIT data collection requirements is available for download in the Notice CPD-13-011: 2014 HIC and PIT of Homeless Persons Data Collection Guidance.
IV. Addressing New Requirements
CoCs should consider the amount of time it may take to compile and enter information needed to meet new reporting requirements. CoCs should allow additional time to compile and enter 2014 count data, per the new requirements identified in the 2014 HIC and PIT data collection Notice, such as:
- The number of RRH project beds and units occupied by RRH participants on the night of the count AND receiving rental assistance;
- The race, ethnicity, and gender of sheltered and unsheltered people;
- Number of Veterans and persons in Veteran households by household type, as well as their characteristics; and
- Conducting necessary data analysis and applying statistically valid estimates to any missing PIT information, including counts related to gender, race and ethnicity.
V. PIT Submission Reminders
- As in the past, HUD expects communities to report population and subpopulation data for all homeless people counted during the PIT enumeration. Where information is missing, CoCs should apply statistically valid and locally appropriate approaches and assumptions to construct an estimate. HUD encourages CoCs to engage with local experts, including people familiar with the count and statisticians, to develop appropriately tailored assumptions and extrapolation techniques in order to properly adjust data prior to generating a complete PIT count report for submission to HUD.
- The sum total number of persons reported in emergency shelters, Safe Havens, and transitional housing projects in the PIT fields of the HIC must match the sum total of sheltered persons reported in the PIT count.
For more information about the PIT and HIC, visit the PIT and HIC Guides, Tools, and Webinars page on the OneCPD Resource Exchange. If you have questions about the HIC or PIT data submission processes, please submit them through OneCPD Ask a Question. On Step 2, select HDX: Homelessness Data Exchange (including PIT, HIC, and AHAR) from the My question is related to drop down.