SNAPS Response to CoCs Impacted by Hurricane Sandy
In response to Hurricane Sandy, HUD is coordinating with Continuums of Care (CoC) that were not impacted and that are in reasonable proximity to the New York City region to determine where there may be capacity to intake persons that are homeless—both those that were homeless prior to and those that are homeless as a result of the storm. Sandy-impacted areas currently have thousands (over 5,000 in New York City alone) of persons in evacuation shelters, many of whom have special needs. These temporary shelter accommodations are not viable long term and do not offer the types of supportive services that many of the persons being sheltered may need.
HUD is requesting that CoCs in a reasonable proximity to the New York City/New Jersey region inventory their providers to determine if there is capacity that can be offered to assist in relocating New York City residents. CoCs that identify capacity can notify HUD by sending an e-mail to Marcy.L.Thompson@hud.gov. HUD will be in contact with those CoCs to follow up.
Please include the term “DISASTER” in the subject line.
HUD understands that CoCs or individual providers may need additional information before units can be committed to this effort. Please submit your questions via email to Marcy Thompson at the address above. HUD will work to quickly to develop frequently asked questions and will begin the issuance of these questions over the next week.
For CoCs that identify units within their current inventory, in the body of your e-mail or in an attachment, please provide the following information:
- A point of contact for follow-up from HUD;
- Program name and location;
- Number of units and beds available;
- Types of facilities [Congregate, Barracks, Apartments, etc.];
- The program type [Transitional Housing, Permanent Supportive Housing, Emergency Shelter];
- Types of services available to participants [The most vulnerable shelter residents will be prioritized for placement];
- Targeted population availability [Families with children, Substance Abuse, Mental Health, etc.]
- Length of program time available [Short-term, medium-term, long-term]
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide in this effort.