Read the New Edition of "The Bridge" Newsletter and New Training for Housing Counselors
Read the New Edition of "The Bridge" Newsletter:
"The Bridge" is HUD's Office of Housing Counseling Newsletter for Housing Counselors. Read the current edition as well as our archive of past issues on HUD's Website.
HUD OHC Webinar Training for Housing Counselors:
Visit the HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC) Training Calendar. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. All OHC webinars can be attended free of charge. View System Requirements. All OHC webinars will posted on the Webinar Archive. Please direct questions to: email@example.com.
- February 16, 2017 - Webinar: Supplemental FY 2017 NOFA for HUD Comprehensive: This webinar will discuss the Supplemental FY 2017 NOFA for HUD Comprehensive Grant Funds, and will cover eligible applicants, changes to the application process including submission requirements and other technical issues. This webinar is highly recommended for all eligible FY 2017 Housing Counseling Supplemental NOFA applicants.
HUD Exchange: The HUD Exchange Training and Events website has many courses and training opportunities of interest to housing counselors, non-profit and local government agencies. To access HUD Exchange you must first create an account.
HUD Exchange Financial Management Curriculum: Completing the financial management curriculum will assist grantees and sub-recipients to comply with federal grant requirements, increase effectiveness, and maximize efficiency.
NTIs are very topic- and skill-focused. Participants spend the majority of their time in intensive classes with 10-30 fellow learners. At each NTI, you're offered a selection of more than 100 courses, a one-day symposium on a pressing topic, free after-course workshops on innovative tools and methods, and abundant peer networking opportunities. Inquire with NeighborWorks about scholarship opportunities for housing counselors. Upcoming NTI Dates include:
- February 20-24, 2017 - Seattle, WA
- May 22-26, 2017 - Minneapolis, MN
- August 14-18, 2017 - Philadelphia, PA
Self-guided Courses: Gain new information and skills you can put to work immediately in NeighborWorks self-guided courses. It is user-friendly professional development you can take advantage of whenever it fits into your schedule and wherever you can connect to the Internet. Visit NeighborWorks for more information or to register for courses listed below. Scholarships are available for these courses:
- HO102el Mortgage Lending Fundamentals for Homeownership Professionals
- HO104el HECM: Counseling Basics Overview
- HO107el Foreclosure Process Overview for Housing Professionals
- HO112el Insurance Basics
- HO130el Understanding Credit Reports and Credit Scoring
- HO170el Housing Counseling Services for Military Members and Veterans
- HO180el Engaging Older Adults in Financial Capability Programs
- HO206el Mortgage Math Made Simple for Homeownership Professionals
- HO208el Building Skills for Financial Confidence
- HO253el FHA-Insured Loans: An Affordable Mortgage Option
- HO265el Counseling Clients Seeking Rental Housing
- HO290el Being Green, Seeing Green: Counseling Clients to Maximize Energy Savings
- HO346el Understanding and Applying Foreclosure Intervention and Loss Mitigation Tools
To obtain a scholarship contact NeighborWorks Customer Response team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive one code for free registration. The subject line of your email should include the course number and title. Please provide your agency's HUD number in the body of your email. Course codes are limited so please register for your course upon receipt of your code. Be advised, self-guided courses need to be completed within 60 days from the registration date.
Rural Community Assistance Corp (RCAC) Training: For more information, please contact Judy Hunter at (916) 447-9832 x1015 or email at: email@example.com. Please register early, as space is limited. policy: Apply for a RCAC housing counseling training scholarship.
- Fair Lending and Loan Document Review: Learn the new Loan Estimate and Closing Disclosure, and the new rules surrounding timing of disclosures, permitted tolerance levels, and TRID's interaction to other regulatory requirements such as the Ability-to-Repay and Qualified Mortgage rule. Gain a broad understanding of the new disclosure and consumer protection regulations. Includes a review of first time buyer lending products. For questions on registration, contact Mark Wiseman or Christie Marks at 916/447-9832 ext. 1429 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org . For questions on content, please contact Judy Hunter at (916) 447-9832 x 1015. This class will be held in person as a 1-day class at the following locations:
- March 08, 2017 - Phoenix, AZ
- June 01, 2017 - Salt Lake City, UT
- July 26, 2017 - San Diego, CA
- August 30, 2017 - Seattle, WA
- October 25, 2017 - Denver, CO
- February 21, 2017 - Webinar: HUD Requirements for Housing Counselors: Learn how to ensure that your client files and the data that you enter into your client management system meet compliance standards. For questions on registration, contact Mark Wiseman or Christie Marks at (916) 447-9832 ext. 1429 or by e-mail: email@example.com.
- March 07, 2017 - Phoenix, AZ: HUD Requirements for Housing Counselors: This course provides an overview of HUD requirements and how housing counselors can easily achieve mastery through best practices. Come explore how to ensure that your client files and the data that you enter into your client management system meet compliance standards.
- March 17, 2017 - Seattle, WA. Expanding Services to Rural and/or Underserved Communities: Gain the tools to help you expand your counseling agency's program offerings to underserved and/or rural communities. Learn to identify the resources available to help you develop your programs and services in a way that better serve the area. Practice techniques to identify the needs of underserved and rural communities and help you market the programs to fit the community's unique culture. Scholarship deadline: February 10, 2017.
- March 23, 2017, April 13, 2017, April 20, 2017 - 3 Part Webinar: Student Loan Debt Counseling. The course includes the Free Application of Federal Student Aid, ways to reduce loan/college costs, cost of degree versus potential salary benefits, options to consider for financing a college education and potential scams. The post-loan counseling section covers repayment types, terms and calculators to give you the tools you need to help your clients. For questions on registration, contact Mark Wiseman or Christie Marks at 916-447-9832 ext. 1429. Complete and send registration form by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NCLR Homeownership Network Learning Alliance (NHNLA) Training: For more information on NCLR Homeownership Network Learning Alliance (NHNLA) eLearning and training courses please contact Cynthia Parra at: (602) 507-6208 or email@example.com. Register online or apply for a scholarship.
- February 08-22, 2017 – Pre-Purchase II
- February 08-22, 2017 - Financial Capability II: Intro to Financial Coaching and Client Advice
- February 018-22, 2017 - Transitioning from Foreclosure to Pre-purchase
- February 09, 2017 - Basic Client Management Using CMAX
- February 15, 2017 - Advanced Client Management Using HCO
- February 16, 2017 - Advanced Client Management Using CMAX Webinar
- February 21, 2017 - Rental Counseling Webinar
- February 22, 2017 - Cultural Sensitivity Webinar
- February 23, 2017 - Fair Housing Webinar
- February 23-24, 2017 - Miami FL. HUD Housing Counselor Certification Prep Course
- April 24-27, 2017 - Atlanta, GA: Place Based Training. Save the Date.
National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC) Training Academy: For any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 202 524-4883.
- March 27-31,2017 Annual Conference Training Series-Washington, DC- Scholarship Application is open until Thursday, January 19, 2017 for the NCRC Annual Conference Training Series on March 27-31, 2017. Click here to apply!
- March 27-31- HC113: Preparing Housing Counselors for the HUD Certification Exam: Learn test-taking tools and strategies in preparation for the HUD competency certification examination. This training has been updated to reflect the recent modifications republished in July 2016 regarding updated mortgage regulations and lender disclosure requirements, including information about the Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage rule and the TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure (TRID) rule.
- March 27-31, 2016 - HC114: Financial Fitness: Learn about financial resources, helping clients track daily spending habits, and tools to help clients become better money managers. Review the basics of understanding money, banking, and financial institutions, as well as the importance of credit reports. Scholarship Application is now open.
The Counselor's Corner: Training, Membership and all webinars are free. Each webinar has a short online test afterwards to get continued education credit hours and Certificates of Completion.
- February 28, 2017 Webinar - Sustainability for Nonprofits: This session will explore the Adaptive Capacity, Leadership Capacity, Management Capacity & Technical Capacity needed for an organization to be relative in today's market.
Others Trainings of Interest to Housing Counselors:
Oklahoma City, OK: Live classroom training for HUD-approved mortgagees, HUD approved housing counseling agencies, and nonprofit housing providers. For-profit entities are not permitted to attend this training. This training includes: HUD Handbook 4330.1 REV-5, Chapter 7, delinquencies, defaults, mortgage collection activities and HUD’s Loss Mitigation Waterfall Program, extension of time requests and variances and Single Family Default Monitoring System. No fee. Space is limited to 45 participants; Registration is first come, first served. For more information, please email: email@example.com. For technical issues with the registration process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please register for one of these dates:
- February 28, 2017 - March 01, 2017
- June 06, 2017 - June 07, 2017
- August 22, 2017 - August 23, 2017
Other On-line FHA Loss Mitigation Training:
USDA Section 502 Training:
Recorded Webinar Training for the Certified Loan Application Packaging Process: This webinar provides training on the implementation of the certified loan application packaging process. Further information on this process can be found in 7 CFR Part 3550 and UL Implementation of the Certified Loan Application Packaging Process. For questions regarding the regulation, training, or UL please contact Tammy Repine of the USDA RD Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division at: (360) 753-7677 or at email@example.com.
Hope Now Events:
- Hope Now Military Housing Podcast: The Hope Now Military Housing Podcast is an entertaining and educational series of conversations focused on military off-base housing.
- February 11, 2017 - Dallas, TX. HopeNow Help for consumer’s event: Hope Now is seeking HUD approved housing counseling agencies to participate in a consumer event in Dallas TX. If your agency is interested in participating, please contact: Oliver Samuel-Jakubos, Hope Now Alliance at: 202-589-2415 or via email at: Oliver.Jakubos@fsroundtable.org.
Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) YouTube Training for Housing Counselors: VHDA has posted training videos for non-profit agencies and consumers. Visit their YouTube channel to view all their current training offerings.
OCC Financial Literacy Update: The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)'s Financial Literacy Update is a bimonthly e-newsletter that reports financial literacy events, initiatives, resources and events and training.
IRS Training: Virtual Tax-Exempt 501(c)(3) Workshops Available for Educational Institutions. This training will help non-profit apply for and maintain their 501(c)(3) status.
National Endowment for Financial Education: Free self-paced online housing course. Learn about calculating housing costs, credit scores, mortgages, shopping for a lender, homeowner's insurance, researching neighborhoods, foreclosure, housing costs and developing a housing plan.
HUD OHC Listserv Bulk Subscriptions
Some housing counselors have asked, "How do I sign up my entire agency staff for HUD Office of Housing Counseling (HUD-OHC) mailing list updates?" It is easy... Just list your staff email addresses like this:
You can send in one email address or your entire agency. Then email your list to HUD's OHC. If you have a housing counseling industry friend who you want to subscribe to this mailing list, provide the instructions for subscribing or forward them this email.
Helpful Links for Housing Counselors:
The HUD Office of Housing Counseling has moved to a new website. Visit us at the HUDExchange. Please reset your bookmarks and favorites.
- Housing Counselor Certification
- Email Technical Support for Housing Counselors
- HUD Housing Counseling Webpage
- The Bridge Newsletter Archive
- Listserv Archive
- Webinar Archive
- Training and Events Calendar
- Employment Opportunities
- Contracting Opportunities
- Grant Opportunities
- myRA Retirement Account
- Disaster Recovery Resources
- Foreclosure Assistance
- FHA Resource Center
- Index of HUD Mailing Lists
Disclaimer: This list will often provide training opportunities, event notifications and other announcements for non-profit and government HUD Housing Counseling partners. HUD does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they or their community/business partner's offer. For more information, please see HUD's web policies.
Unsubscribe via email.