Get HUD Exchange Updates: Get critical deadlines, policy changes, and upcoming trainings in your inbox.

Read "The Bridge" Newsletter and a Reminder to HCAs Preparing to Submit Grant Applications

December 22, 2016 Print ShareThis

"The Bridge" is HUD's Office of Housing Counseling Newsletter for Housing Counselors. Read the current edition as well as our archive of past issues on HUD's Website.

Reminder for All HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies Preparing to Submit Grant Applications to

HUD-Approved Housing Counseling Agencies that plan to apply for federal grants in FY 2017 should immediately take steps to ensure that they are properly registered to submit an application electronically through In order to apply for a grant, you and/or your organization must complete the registration process. The registration process can take between three to five business days or as long as four weeks if all steps are not completed in a timely manner. So please register early! NOTE: Applicants will not be eligible to apply for grant funds if not properly registered.

NEW APPLICANTS: New users will be required to complete a five-step registration process as outlined below.

STEP 1: OBTAIN DUNS NUMBER: The Federal Government has adopted the use of Dun and Bradstreet numbers (DUNS number) to track how federal grant money is allocated. DUNS numbers identify your organization. It takes only one day to obtain a DUNS number. If your organization does not know its DUNS number or needs to register for one, visit Dun & Bradstreet. During the registration process, the DUNS number assigned to the applicant organization should match information previously provided by your organization which is also contained in Internal Revenue Service (IRS) records.

STEP 2: REGISTER WITH SYSTEM FOR AWARD MANAGEMENT (SAM): Registering with SAM, (formerly CCR) is required for organizations to use If your organization is not registered, you can apply online by going to: (please note this is the updated link address for the formerly CCR website). If AFTER having registered in SAM, you experience any registration problems, you can get help by going to the Federal Service Desk. When your organization registers with, you must designate an E-Business Point of Contact (E-Biz POC). This person will identify a special password called an "M-PIN." This M-PIN gives the E-Biz POC authority to designate which staff member(s) from your organization are allowed to submit applications electronically through Staff members from your organization designated to submit applications are called Authorized Organization Representatives (AORs). If your organization already has an Employment Identification Number (EIN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), then you should allow one - three to seven business days to complete the entire SAM registration. If your organization does not have an EIN or TIN, then you should allow two weeks for obtaining the information from the IRS when requesting the EIN or TIN via phone or Internet.

STEP 3: USERNAME & PASSWORD: An AOR username and password serves as an "electronic signature" when submitting a application. To create a username and password, AORs must complete their profile on AORs will need to know the DUNS number of the organization for which they will be submitting applications to complete the process. After your organization registers with SAM, AORs must wait one business day before they can complete a profile and create their usernames and passwords on NOTE: Passwords expire every 60 days and accounts inactive for 1 year or more result in removal of all account roles. For more Account Management information, review the applicant FAQs. support is also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except Federal Holidays) at 1-800-518-4726 or by email to

STEP 4: AOR AUTHORIZATION: Only the E-Biz POC can approve AORs. This allows the organization to authorize specific staff members or consultants/grant writers to submit grants. Only those who have been authorized by the E-Biz POC can submit applications on behalf of the organization.

STEP 5: TRACK AOR STATUS: AORs can login to track their AOR status using their username and password (obtained in Step 3) to check if they have been approved by the E-Biz POC. This step is important to verify that the organization’s E-Biz POC has approved the AOR. Applicants may click on this link to view the: checklist for completing the registration process.

PREVIOUS APPLICANTS: Applicants that have previously completed the registration process have to renew or update their registration at the SAM Homepage.

If an organization has an expired registration, it may need to contact the Federal Service Desk for help because SAM (formerly CCR) changed its login procedure in July of 2012. Organizations can no longer access their SAM profile by entering a DUNS + TPIN. They must create a user account, which is another user id/password combination attached to some personal information. HUD will not make a payment to an awardee who’s SAM Registration has expired. See: Interim Rule published July 15, 2010 (75 FR 41087) and Final Rule published December 8, 2010 (75 FR 76260).

For additional information, applicants may contact the SAM helpdesk at 1-866-606-8220. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00AM - 8:00PM EST.  Applicants can also find information and submit questions online at the Federal Service Desk, but please note this is not for last-minute help with an application submission.

All Parent Agencies should make sure their sub-agencies have received this information. Please direct questions or comments to your respective HUD point of contact or email:

HUD OHC Listserv Bulk Subscriptions

Some housing counselors have asked, "How do I sign up my entire agency staff for HUD Office of Housing Counseling (HUD-OHC) mailing list updates?" It is easy... Just list your staff email addresses like this:

You can send in one email address or your entire agency. Then email your list to HUD's OHC. If you have a housing counseling industry friend who you want to subscribe to this mailing list, provide the instructions for subscribing or forward them this email.

Helpful Links for Housing Counselors:

The HUD Office of Housing Counseling has moved to a new website. Visit us at the HUDExchange. Please reset your bookmarks and favorites.

Disclaimer: This list will often provide training opportunities, event notifications and other announcements for non-profit and government HUD Housing Counseling partners. HUD does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they or their community/business partner's offer. For more information, please see HUD's web policies.


Thank you!

Tags: Housing Counseling Program