OHC Resources for Housing Counseling Agencies Dealing with the Impact of Hurricane Irma
Hurricane Irma FEMA Updates for Housing Counselors:
FEMA issued an Emergency Declarations for:
- Florida Hurricane Irma (DR-4337)
- Puerto Rico Hurricane Irma (DR-4336)
- U.S. Virgin Islands Hurricane Irma (DR-4335)
- Alabama Hurricane Irma (EM-3389)
- Georgia Hurricane Irma (EM-3387)
- South Carolina Hurricane Irma (EM-3386)
Guidance for FHA-Approved Mortgagees, Servicers and Housing Counselors Regarding Presidentially Declared Major Disaster Areas:
On September 11, 2017, the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) is issued a reminder to mortgagees about its guidance for originating and/or servicing forward and reverse mortgages in areas covered by a Presidentially Declared Major Disaster Area (PDMDA). The following guidance applies to all areas covered by a PDMDA, including current PDMDA designations in Texas resulting from Hurricane Harvey, and any PDMDA designations resulting from Hurricane Irma:
- FHA-insured mortgages secured by properties in a PDMDA are subject to a 90-Day foreclosure moratorium following the disaster.
- In PDMDAs only, HUD provides mortgagees an automatic 90-Day extension from the date of the foreclosure moratorium expiration date to commence or recommence foreclosure action or evaluate the borrower under HUD's Loss Mitigation Program.
Mortgagees should review complete servicing guidance in the Single Family Housing Policy Handbook 4000.1 (SF Handbook), Sections III.A.2 and III.A.3.c relating to the servicing of mortgages in PDMDAs.
In preparation for assisting homeowners with longer-term recovery efforts, mortgagees should also review:
- FHA's 203(h) Mortgage Insurance for Disaster Victims requirements in Section II.A.8.b of the SF Handbook. The 203(h) program allows FHA to insure mortgages for victims of a major disaster who have lost their homes and are in the process of rebuilding or buying another home.
- FHA's 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance Program requirements in Section II.A.8.a of the SF Handbook. The 203(k) program provides mortgage financing or refinancing which includes the cost of home repairs – both structural and non-structural - into the loan amount.
Mortgagees can find more information about the policies referenced above and other FHA PDMDA policies on the FHA Resource Center's Online Knowledge Base.
- Review HUD's August 28, 2017, press release
- Access the SF Handbook in online or portable document format from HUD's Client Information Policy Systems Handbooks web page
OHC Resources for Housing Counseling Agencies Dealing with the Impact of Hurricane Irma:
All HUD participating housing counseling agencies impacted in Puerto Rico, Florida, and the surrounding region, as well as agencies which may be impacted by future hurricanes, are encouraged to review the Hurricane Resource Page for Housing Counselors and the Housing Counseling Disaster Recovery and Emergency Preparedness Toolkit located on HUDExchange. It contains disaster recovery and emergency preparedness resources specifically for housing counseling programs. The toolkit provides immediate access to Disaster Recovery Flyers, the Housing Counseling Disaster Program Guide and other HUD, FEMA, and other helpful resources.
Reminder: Housing Counseling Handbook 7610.1, Chapter 5-11, B. 3-d, requires when any aspect an agency's purpose is impaired and can no longer comply with programmatic requirements, regulations or grant agreement (e.g., not functioning due to a disaster or emergency) the agency must notify HUD (their point of contact) within 15 days.
Please send your questions to email@example.com. Please type “DART” on the subject line.
Unidos US Offers Disaster Training for Housing Counselors:
September 15, 2017 - Disaster Victims Counseling Webinar: Unidos US is offering free, live on-line training covering short-term and long-term options for disaster victims; understanding the role of the FEMA in disaster situations and working with insurance companies. Texas specific information on disaster recovery will also be shared.
Housing Counselors Join Unidos US in Chicago, Illinois October 16th-20th! Travel and Lodging scholarships are still available!
- October 16-17, 2017 - HUD Housing Counseling Certification Prep Course Training: This training will help nonprofit housing counseling agencies prepare Housing Counselors for the HUD Housing Counselor Certification exam. The fast-paced two day course is a refresher on all six core competency topics. Apply today to reserve your spot!
- October 16-17, 2017 - Client Management Systems: Best Practices for Efficient Client Management Usage: This two day course is for housing counseling staff interested in maximizing their efficiency in using their client management systems. Learn about CounselorMax and Housing Counselor Online(HCO). The class will show pros and cons of each system as well as best practices while teaching the participants how to be more effective in their day to day processes.
- October 16-17, 2017 - Methods in Effective Rental Counseling: Learn about the fundamentals of counseling a client including intake screening, financial literacy, tenant and landlord responsibilities, fair housing, and the eviction process. This course will prepare housing counselors to effectively counsel clients to become sustainable and knowledgeable renters.
- October 18-20, 2017 - Pre-Purchase I: Fundamentals to Pre-Purchase Homebuyer Counseling: Learn about the fundamentals of housing counseling in addition to the counseling structure, templates, training on client management systems, and HUD housing counseling requirements.
- October 18-20, 2017 - Implementing and Growing Your Homebuyer Education Program: Learn about creating curriculum for your unique community, practical tools to build a dynamic course, keeping adult learners engaged, structuring program delivery, FHA and Lending products, incorporating Fair Housing, steps for recovery to homeownership after foreclosure, using technology to create online learning and avoiding housing and lending scams.
Recursos de OHC para agencias de asesoría de vivienda relacionadas con el impacto del huracán Irma y Harvey.
Todas las agencias de Consejería de vivienda participantes del HUD impactadas en el estado de la Florida, las Islas Vírgenes, Puerto Rico y las regiones circundantes, así como las agencias que pueden ser impactadas por futuros huracanes, son alentadas a revisar la página de recursos de huracanes para consejeros de vivienda y la Asesoría de vivienda en recuperación ante desastres y herramientas de preparación de emergencia ubicadas en HUDExchange. Contiene recursos para la recuperación ante desastres y preparación de emergencia específicamente para programas de Consejería de vivienda. El kit de herramientas proporciona acceso inmediato a los folletos de recuperación ante desastres, la guía del programa de asesoramiento para la vivienda y otros recursos útiles de las agencias de HUD, FEMA.
Recordatorio: el manual de Consejería de vivienda 7610.1, capítulo 5-11, B. 3-d, requiere que cuando cualquier aspecto en la cual el objetivo de una agencia es perjudicado y ya no puede cumplir con los requisitos programáticos, reglamentos o acuerdo de subvención (por ejemplo, no funciona debido a un desastre o emergencia) la agencia debe notificar a HUD (su punto de contacto) dentro de 15 días.
Favor de enviar sus preguntas a Housing.Counseling@HUD.gov. Por favor, escriba "DART" en la línea de asunto.
Únete a UnidosUS:
Regístrese para nuestro seminario gratis sobre asesoramiento para víctimas de desastres.
El entrenamiento será presentado por web y está programado para el Viernes 15 de Septiembre, empezando a las 11:00am-1:00pm ET con registro gratis.
HUD OHC Listserv Bulk Subscriptions
Some housing counselors have asked, "How do I sign up my entire agency staff for HUD Office of Housing Counseling (HUD-OHC) mailing list updates?" It is easy... Just list your staff email addresses like this:
You can send in one email address or your entire agency. Then email your list to HUD's OHC. If you have a housing counseling industry friend who you want to subscribe to this mailing list, provide the instructions for subscribing or forward them this email.
Helpful Links for Housing Counselors:
The HUD Office of Housing Counseling has moved to a new website. Visit us at the HUDExchange. Please reset your bookmarks and favorites.
- Housing Counselor Certification
- Email Technical Support for Housing Counselors
- HUD Housing Counseling Webpage
- The Bridge Newsletter Archive
- Listserv Archive
- Webinar Archive
- Training and Events Calendar
- Employment Opportunities
- Contracting Opportunities
- Grant Opportunities
- myRA Retirement Account
- Disaster Recovery Resources
- Foreclosure Assistance
- FHA Resource Center
- Index of HUD Mailing Lists
Disclaimer: This list will often provide training opportunities, event notifications and other announcements for non-profit and government HUD Housing Counseling community/business partner's offer. Scholarship opportunities may have limitations. Please contact the training vendor directly for more information. For more information, please see HUD's web policies. Unsubscribe via email. HUD does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they or their community/business partner's offer.