June NFHTA Digest | Reminder: Register Today: June National Fair Housing Forum
June NFHTA Digest
Check out the June edition of the NFHTA Digest:
- Learn about COVID and the Eviction Moratorium and it's impact on fair housing.
- Meet Academy faculty member Steve Tomkowiak, Esq.
- Explore effective conciliation techniques.
- View the May National Fair Housing Forum materials.
- Register for upcoming events.
Reminder: Register Today: On the Brink: The Looming Eviction Crisis of the COVID-19 Pandemic - June 16, 2021
June 16, 2021 | 2:00-4:00 PM ET
Join the National Fair Housing Training Academy (NFHTA) and the National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA) in a National Fair Housing Forum focusing on the impact of the eviction moratorium during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a disparate impact on people of color and those in other protected classes, resulting in higher rates of infection and higher rates of unemployment. This has a profound impact on renters of color, who are much more vulnerable to losing their homes through eviction, especially as eviction moratoria are lifted and assistance programs end or fail to adequately reach them.
This forum will contain information about housing assistance programs that may help prevent eviction, specify how eviction could be a fair housing violation, and provide resources and tools that fair housing practitioners, attorneys, and housing counselors can utilize to combat evictions that violate the Fair Housing Act.
Note: NFHTA's July National Fair Housing Forum will address the pending foreclosure crisis.
This forum will cover the following topics:
- The effects of the eviction moratorium during the pandemic on people of color and others in protected classes.
- The status of eviction moratoria.
- Current rental assistance programs.
- Legal standards for combating eviction as a fair housing violation.
- Tools to stop evictions that violate fair housing laws.
- Potential partnerships between FHIP and FHAP agencies and local legal aid organizations.
Forum participants will:
- Understand how COVID-19 has had disparate housing impacts on people in protected classes and communities of color and how it has led to a looming eviction crisis with potential fair housing implications.
- Know more about eviction moratoria and assistance programs that may prevent eviction.
- Understand the legal framework for a fair housing solution to an eviction case.
- Know about fair housing issues in eviction processing and how to address those issues.
- Know how to assist those who have been discriminated against in the foreclosure or eviction process.
- Know more about fair housing, housing counseling, and legal services resources for combatting eviction.
This forum is targeted to Fair Housing Initiatives Program (FHIP) organizations, Fair Housing Assistance Program (FHAP) agencies, Housing Counseling Agencies, legal services providers, and other interested fair housing partners.
For a full list of upcoming Academy events, view the NFHTA Training Calendar.