New Trainings for Housing Counselors
New Trainings for Housing Counselors
HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC)
Visit the OHC Training Calendar. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. All OHC webinars can be attended free of charge. View System Requirements. Please click the links below for more information. All OHC webinars will be posted on the Webinar Archive. Please direct questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 17, 2018 - Webinar: HUD Housing Counseling Program Diversification of Funding Sources: This webinar identifies funding opportunities and best practices on using other funds along with your HUD Housing Counseling program. The webinar covers an introduction to diversification of funds, and what other HUD Programs and non-HUD funding may be available to enhance an agency's housing counseling program. Participants recommended for attendance include: currently participating housing counseling agencies and those who may want to participate in HUD's Housing Counseling program in the future, who deliver both one-on-one housing counseling and group education housing counseling services.
"Let's Make Home Happen" Webinar Training Series: Learn how to increase awareness of and drive demand for HUD-approved housing counseling in your community. This 3-part communications series will explore ways to effectively reach consumers using social media, media relations, and collateral materials. Learn about ways to maintain a social media presence, work with media outlets in your area, and engage with consumers using printed materials. Webinars will be hosted on Fridays at 12:00 - 2:00 PM EDT. Please see the schedule below:
- April 13, 2018 - Maintaining Your Social Media: Learn ways to properly maintain an ongoing social media presence, and how to be effective with your posting schedule to understating how to draw insight from your social media analytics.
- April 20, 2018 - Fun Tips and Tools: Learn about social media management. With this webinar, we'll dive into at all the tips and tools that help a social media manager remain efficient.
- May 04, 2018 - Advancing Your Content Strategy: Learn ways to take your social media outreach to the next level. With this webinar, we'll discuss the types of content that will help you stand out in overcrowded social media feeds and how to begin advertising on Facebook and Twitter.
- May 11, 2018 - Media Relations : Get the fundamental steps to prepare you for local media outreach. Learn how to identify what media to contact, who to contact, how to create a local media contact list and best practices.
- May 18, 2018 - Press Release Tips: This webinar covers the essentials for using press releases to communicate with the local media. It provides detailed examples and step-by-step instruction on how to write, distribute and pitch a press release that the media will find worth reading.
- TBD - Establishing Your Social Media Channels: Think of this as a "Social Media 101" webinar, where you'll learn the basics of social media management. We'll explore ways to set up a Facebook and Twitter page for your agency and the ways in which you can post to social media to begin reaching consumers online.
HUD Exchange: The HUD Exchange Trainings website has many courses and training opportunities of interest to housing counselors, non-profit and local government agencies. To access the HUD Exchange, you must first create an account.
NeighborWorks Training Institutes: NTIs are very topic and skill-focused. Participants spend most their time in intensive classes with 10-30 fellow learners. At each NTI, you're offered a selection of more than 100 courses, a one-day symposium on a pressing topic, free after-course workshops on innovative tools and methods, and abundant peer networking opportunities. Inquire with NeighborWorks about scholarship opportunities for housing counselors. Upcoming NTI Dates include:
- May 07-11, 2018 - Kansas City, MO
- August 20-24, 2018 - Louisville, KY (Save the date)
Self-guided Courses: Gain new information and skills you can put to work immediately in NeighborWorks self-guided courses. It is user-friendly professional development you can take advantage of whenever it fits into your schedule and wherever you can connect to the Internet. Visit Neighborworks.org/Self-guided Courses for more information or to register for courses listed below.
- Mortgage Lending Fundamentals for Homeownership Professionals (HO102el)
- HECM: Counseling Basics Overview (HO104el)
- Foreclosure Process Overview for Housing Professionals (HO107el)
- Foreclosure Basics for Homeownership Counselors (HO109el)
- Insurance Basics (HO112el)
- Understanding Credit Reports and Credit Scoring (HO130el)
- Housing Counseling Services for Military Members and Veterans (HO170el)
- Engaging Older Adults in Financial Capability Programs (HO180el)
- Mortgage Math Made Simple for Homeownership Professionals (HO206el)
- Building Skills for Financial Confidence (HO208el)*
- Counseling Clients Seeking Rental Housing (HO265el)
- Being Green, Seeing Green: Counseling Clients to Maximize Energy Savings (HO290el)
- Best Practices to Improve Your Foreclosure Intervention Counseling Program (HO347el)
*Participants enrolling in HO208el should plan to complete the course as soon as possible. Registrants who have not completed the course by mid-October, when a revised version of HO208el is scheduled to launch, will be required to start the course from the beginning.
Register today: Scholarships are available for these NeighborWorks on-line training opportunities.
Rural Community Assistance Corp. (RCAC)
RCAC provides high quality training for housing counselors nationwide. For questions on registration, contact Mark Wiseman or Christie Marks at (916) 447-9832 x 1429 or via e-mail at: email@example.com. For questions on content, please contact Judy Hunter at (916) 447-9832 x 1015 or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarships are available to those employed by a HUD-approved counseling agency. For more information on registration, fees, or scholarships, visit RCAC's website. Please provide a valid email address when you register as that is how we RCAC communicate with you.
On Site Classes:
- April 16-20, 2018 - Jacksonville, FL: Developing Effective Program Manager Skills: Learn about HUD requirements for housing counseling agencies; drafting a counseling plan that meets HUD requirements; financial management including compliance with the OMB Uniform Guidance; drafting an effective quality control plan and how to monitor; building sustainability to your counseling program with a focus on community impacts; and keys to marketing your counseling program. Scholarships available; deadline: January 31, 2018.
- April 18-20, 2018 - Santa Ana, CA: Core Competencies for HUD Certification: Prepare for the exam by covering all six (6) Core Topics that housing counselors need to be competent: 1. Financial Management; 2. Housing Affordability; 3. Homeownership; 4. Tenancy; 5. Fair Housing and Civil Rights; 6. Avoiding Foreclosure and Eviction. Scholarships available; deadline: February 18, 2018.
- April 24, 2018 - Phoenix, AZ: Housing Counseling Essentials for the Beginning Counselor: Learn about the mechanics of housing counseling, industry best practices and HUD compliance requirements. Explore the different client service types, including individual counseling clients and group education activities. Intake, client file requirements, quality control issues and reporting methods as well as streamlining client data entry into your client management systems for optimal reporting. Register now and get a head start on your new career as a housing counselor. Scholarships available; deadline: February 18, 2018.
- May 01-02, 2018 - Denver, CO: Improving Your Counseling Program Through Financial Capability and Coaching: Financial capability programs are rooted in behavior change – changing how participants make financial decisions and manage their financial resources so they can resolve financial issues, reach their goals, and build their financial health. Financial coaching with ongoing accountability is a popular application of the financial capability approach. Learn how to integrate the latest tools and techniques from the financial capability field into your homeownership program to enhance your program's effectiveness. There is a $100 fee to attend this 5-day course. Scholarships available; deadline: March 01, 2018.
- May 22-24, 2018 - Troy, NY: Core Competencies for HUD Certification: Are you ready to take and pass the HUD Housing Counseling Certification Examination? Our three-day course will prepare you for the exam by covering all six (6) Core Topics that housing counselors need to be competent: 1. Financial Management; 2. Housing Affordability; 3. Homeownership; 4. Tenancy; 5. Fair Housing and Civil Rights; 6. Avoiding Foreclosure and Eviction. There is a $150 fee to attend this 5-day course. Scholarships available; deadline: March 22, 2018.
- June 05-08, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Keeping Housing Sustainable: Learn how to prepare potential homeowners to navigate not only the buying process, but also how to keep their home. Review a variety of pre-and post-purchase topics to help keep housing sustainable. Learn about the initial 15 Steps to Homeownership outlined in most pre-purchase educational platforms, and home inspections, home warranties and strategies for selecting realtors and lenders; navigating the selection of appropriate insurance coverage; and addressing seasonal and annual home maintenance towards long term sustainability. As well as TRID disclosures documents and FHA loans. The course includes an overview on how both Housing Counseling Agencies, and their clients can prepare for natural disasters including immediate response and recovery efforts to bring greater resiliency to households and communities. There is a $200 fee to attend this 5-day course. Scholarships available; deadline: April 15, 2018
- June 20-22, 2018 - Santa Ana, CA: The Fundamentals of Rental Housing: Americans are more likely to rent a home today than at any other time during the previous 50 years. Housing Action Illinois has developed a comprehensive, step-by-step training to introduce housing counselors to rental counseling or deepen the knowledge of counselors already guiding clients through the rental process. Their curriculum includes an extensive collection of resources and more than a dozen templates for housing counselors to use as they aid their clients. When housing counselors support tenants and landlords by facilitating better communication, understanding, and respect, we help our communities thrive. This course will be conducted by Housing Action Illinois. There is a $150 fee to attend this 3-day course. Scholarships available; deadline: April 20, 2018.
- July 10-12, 2018 - West Sacramento, CA: Path to Homeownership: Do you want to sharpen your skills at assisting your clients to navigate their path to homeownership? This course examines current industry best practices regarding each of the 15 steps to homeownership that counselors should review with clients. By using these steps, counselors can better guide clients on the many decisions they'll have to make on the path to homeownership. The interactive course focuses on how to read and interpret purchase contracts, appraisals, home inspection reports and lender disclosures including fair housing basics. Come learn how to empower your clients to make informed decisions throughout each phase of the purchase transaction to encourage successful homeownership. There is a $150 fee to attend this 3-day course. Scholarships available; deadline: June 30, 2018.
- July 24-26, 2018 - West Sacramento, CA: Student Loan Debt Counseling: Do you have clients who are managing high student debt load? What if they had received your guidance before taking on that debt? We think they'd have better outcomes! Our class emphasizes pre-loan counseling and includes how to use interactive links and calculators to show students their best options. Learn about the Free Application of Federal Student Aid, ways to reduce loan/college costs, cost of degree versus potential salary benefits, options to consider for financing a college education and potential scams. The post-loan counseling section covers repayment types, terms and calculators to give you the tools you need to help your clients. There is a $150 fee to attend this 3-day course. Scholarships available; deadline: June 30, 2018.
- April 03, 10, & 17, 2018 - Improving Your Counseling Program Through Financial Capability and Coaching: Learn how to integrate the latest tools and techniques from the financial capability field into your homeownership program to enhance your program's effectiveness. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar series.
- April 05, 2018 HUD Requirements for Housing Counselors: This course provides an overview of HUD requirements and how housing counselors can easily achieve mastery through best practices. Come explore how to ensure that your client files and the data that you enter into your client management system meet compliance standards. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar.
- May 01, 08, and 15, 2018 - Student Loan Debt Counseling: Learn about pre-loan counseling and includes how to use interactive links and calculators to show students their best options. We'll also cover the Free Application of Federal Student Aid, ways to reduce loan/college costs, cost of degree versus potential salary benefits, options to consider for financing a college education and potential scams. The post-loan counseling section covers repayment types, terms and calculators to give you the tools you need to help your clients. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar.
- May 03, 2018 - Understanding FHA Loan Products: Learn about the basic framework associated with all FHA loan products, including down payment requirements, mortgage insurance calculations, qualification requirements and common underwriting scenarios using the 4000.1 underwriting handbook. The session will also explore other less commonly used FHA loan programs designed for specific borrower and property profiles. Upon completion, counselors will be able to successfully guide consumers through the popular FHA insured Federal Mortgage Product.
- May 17, 2018 - Best practices in the Home Inspection Process: Learn about the importance of a home inspection. This webinar will help counselors understand how the home inspection industry is regulated, guide consumers to selecting a qualified home inspector, advise consumers on the importance of participating during the actual inspection appointment, and, using a framework based on HUD's Healthy Homes initiative, evaluate the findings to determine if the subject property will provide safe and sustainable housing for them and their families. The session will also provide decisioning tools to help guide consumers through the contract decisioning process should the home inspection findings indicate some repairs are needed. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar.
- June 2018 - Six Part Webinar Series: Core Competencies for HUD Certification: Are you ready to take and pass the HUD Housing Counseling Certification Examination? Our three-day course will prepare you for the exam by covering all six (6) Core Topics that housing counselors need to be competent: 1. Financial Management; 2. Housing Affordability; 3. Homeownership; 4. Tenancy; 5. Fair Housing and Civil Rights; 6. Avoiding Foreclosure and Eviction. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar series. Take one or take them all!
- June 12, 2018: Financial Management
- June 14, 2018: Tenancy (Rental)
- June 19, 2018: Homeownerships and Property Maintenance
- June 21, 2018: Fair Housing and Civil Rights Laws and Requirements
- June 26, 2018: Housing Affordability
- June 28, 2018: Avoidance of Rental and Mortgage Delinquency and Avoidance of Eviction and Mortgage Default
- July 19, 24 & 26, 2018 - Fair Lending and Loan Document Review: A series of three webinars. Learn the new Loan Estimate and Closing Disclosure, and the new rules surrounding timing of disclosures, permitted tolerance levels, and TRID's interaction to other regulatory requirements such as the Ability-to-Repay and Qualified Mortgage rule. Gain a broad understanding of the new disclosure and consumer protection regulations. Includes a review of first time buyer lending products. 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time (PST). There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar series.
April 16-20, 2018 - Miami, FL: Join UnidosUS for the next place based training. Breakfast and lunch will be provided each day. Travel and lodging scholarships are available for all courses!
- April 16-18, 2018 - Housing Counseling Program Management: This three-day course offers senior-level counselors and program manager's skills on how to market to a variety of target audiences, increase capacity to improve community impact, create program sustainability, negotiate partnerships, and meet program and funder requirements.
- April 16-17, 2018 - Financial Strategies for Older Adults: *NEW COURSE*: This 2-day course provides the basic strategies and information needed to increase a counseling professionals' ability to assist their senior clients. This course will leave a new/seasoned counselor with all the tools necessary to help their senior clients navigate the hurdles that are specific to them such as helping them develop a realistic expectation of retirement lifestyle to estate planning and much, much more.
- April 18-20, 2018 - Financial Capability II: Intro to Financial Coaching: An added layer to the Financial Strategies for Older Adults course, this additional training will have participants in this course leaving with expanded skills to transition counseling into coaching methodologies.
- April 16-18, 2018 - Pre-Purchase I: Fundamentals of Pre-Purchase Counseling: This course covers the fundamentals of housing counseling in addition to the counseling structure, templates, training on client management systems, and HUD housing counseling requirements.
- April 19-20, 2018 - Case Management and Compliance Methods: *NEW COURSE*: This 2-day course provides the much needed "how-to" strategies for effective case management and compliance. Counselors will leave the course with a broad knowledge of how to set up compliant-friendly case management systems, preparing for an audit, and effective cross-training.
- April 19-20, 2018 - Transitioning from Foreclosure to Pre-Purchase: This two-day course helps housing counselors prepare clients who are currently going through foreclosure or have previously gone through a foreclosure get back on their feet, prepare to rent, and eventually purchase a home again.
- April 09-15, 2018 *NEW COURSE* - eLearning Pathways to Credit Empowerment
- April 02-22, 2018 - eLearning Pre-Purchase 1
- April 02-22, 2018 - eLearning Financial Capability II: Intro to Financial Coaching
- May 01, 2018 - HUD Compliance
- May 02, 2018 - Basic Client Management Using CMAX
- May 03, 2018 - Basic Client Management Using HCO
- May 08, 2018 - Predatory Lending
- May 09, 2018 - Homebuyer Education Programs
- May 10, 2018 - Fair Housing Counseling
- May 15, 2018 - Rental Counseling
- May 17, 2018 - Disaster Victims Counseling
National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC)
The NCRC National Training Academy offers state-of-the-art training and technical assistance online via webinars and instructor-led. Their mission is to provide a comprehensive training program that meets the needs of organizations committed to increasing access to credit in communities. Scholarships are now available for National Training Series on April 09-13, 2018 in Washington, DC. Visit NCRC's website at training.ncrc.org. For any questions please contact: email@example.com or 202-524-4883.
National Training Series:
April 09 - 13, 2018 - Washington, DC: The National Training Academy will be offering housing counseling trainings at the 2018 National Training Series on April 09-13, 2018 in Washington, DC. All training attendees will have access to Just Economy Conference on April 9-11, 2018. All participants will receive a partial tuition scholarship automatically. A minimal registration fee is required for each training.
- April 09-13, 2018 - HC113: Preparing Housing Counselors for the HUD Certification Exam: Learn about tools and strategies in preparation for taking the HUD certification exam. This training has been updated to reflect the recent modifications republished in May 2017. Training core topics: Financial Management/Budget, Housing Affordability/ Renting vs. Buying, Fair Housing/History and Overview, Homeownership/ Pre-Purchase, Avoiding Foreclosure/Retention Options, Tenancy/Obtaining and Maintaining Tenancy. Attendees will receive a consolidated version of the newest HUD Study Modules.
- April 09-13, 2018 - HC119: Debt management & HC120: Understanding Credit & its Impact on Today's Consumer: This is a 5-day training designed to provide housing counselors and other housing professionals with tools to help consumers decode the labels of what the housing and financial industry considers to be good debt, bad debt, and healthy debt. During this training participants will be provided with tools to help consumers navigate the progression of their credit history and gauge the impact their credit behavior has on their everyday decisions. Participants will utilize case studies, activities, and assessments to apply the tools and resources provided during the training.
- April 05, 2018 - WB125: Spending Strategies That Stick: Learn about working with clients around their financial goals, changing financial behaviors in support of those goals and overall financial well-being. Like all financial behaviors, how clients spend their money impacts other financial behaviors, such as reaching goals, saving for the future, and borrowing strategically.
- April 18, 2018 - WB204: Fair Housing - Homebuyers’ Right to Fair Housing Celebrates 50 years: This webinar will be a live on-line webinar commemorating 50 years of using the Fair Housing Act to ensure homebuyers have equal opportunity to housing and lending opportunities. This webinar is for housing counselors, whether you are a new to the field or an expert housing counselor, lean about topics related to the fair housing act and how to include these resources in your everyday work to ensure your clients have equal opportunity to housing. Participants will review fair housing laws and regulations that play a crucial role in their workday.
- April 25, 2018 - WB101: Housing Counseling Program Delivery: Implementing Effective Programs & Services- Part III Live Webinar:Participants will build on the general standards discussed in part one and expand the skills and competencies revealed in part two – ultimately leading up to discussing strategies to deliver an effective housing counseling program with quality and consistency.
The Counselor's Corner
Training, Membership and all webinars are free. Most webinars have a short online test afterwards to get continued education hours' credit and Certificates of Completion. Please see the upcoming webinars below. To see all webinars at a glance, please go to the TCC master webinar calendar.
- April 17, 2018 - Alternatives to Foreclosure: The Decision Tree
- April 19, 2018 - Sustainability - Set a Strong Foundation
- April 24, 2018 - How to Study for the HUD Certification Exam
- May 10, 2018 - Sustainability - Empowering Your Team
- May 08, 2018 - Recovery After Foreclosure
- May 23, 2018 - Sustainability for Nonprofits
- June 12, 2018 - Sustainability - Funding for Your Organization
- June 20, 2018 - How to Make Your Case for Funding Your Program
- July 12, 2018 - Bankruptcy Basics
- July 18, 2018 - Demystifying Student Loan Counseling
- July 25, 2018 - Scam Prevention & Reporting
- July 31, 2018 - Building Sustainability Through First Touch
- August 08, 2018 - Disaster Recovery Road
- August 15, 2018 - Achieve Your Organizational Worth
- November 07, 2018 - HUD Housing Counselor Certification Update
- November 13, 2018 - Cyber Security for Agency Managers
- November 15, 2018 - Achieve Your Organizational Worth (encore presentation)
- Housing Counselor Certification Training: Register today to attend webinars on all six HUD competencies to prepare for the HUD certification exam. Each topic will be covered three times in 2018 for your convenience. All times are 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Eastern. Click a date and topic below to register:
- April 09-11, 2018 - Orlando, FL: The Counselor's Corner First Impacts & Innovations Housing Professionals Training and Recognition Conference: Attend classes conducted by nationally recognized trainers. Meet with your peers to collaborate and share ideas. Participate in the nomination of those in the housing counseling industry who are shining stars.
- Available through November 2018 - Coping with Disaster PTSD webinar recording: Learn about the meaning and process of vicarious trauma, how to identify and analyze your personal signs and symptoms, and how to recognize the impact that vicarious trauma has on your professional proficiency. This information can help you and your clients and can be applied to any disaster scenario. Read the .pdf version of the presentation. Review the Self-Assessment of Vicarious Trauma form. Each person should register and view the video individually to receive credit.
Other Trainings of Interest to Housing Counselors
- April 04, 2018 - Webinar V.3: SFDMS - Reporting Errors
- April 11, 2018 - Webinar V.4: SFDMS - Neglected Defaults
- April 18, 2018 - Webinar VI: FHA's Claims Without Conveyance of Title (CWCOT)
- April 25, 2018 - Webinar VII: HUD Extension of Time and Variance Request System (EVARS) Training
USDA Training: For questions regarding the regulation, training, or UL please contact Tammy Repine of the USDA RD Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division at: (360) 753-7677 or at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recorded Webinar Training for the Certified Loan Application Packaging Process: This webinar provides training on the implementation of the certified loan application packaging process.
Recorded Webinar Training for the Certified Loan Application Packaging Process: This webinar provides training on the implementation of the certified loan application packaging process.
- April 04-05, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Housing Counselor Online Made Easy. (Save the Date)
- April 09-10, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Counseling Clients with Student Loan Debt. (Save the Date)
- May 21-25, 2018 - Chicago, IL: NeighborWorks HO345 – Foreclosure Intervention and Default Counseling Certification, Part 1. (Save the Date)
- June 05-06, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Financial Management for your HUD Grant (Save the Date)
- July 16-20, 2018 - Chicago, IL: NeighborWorks HO360 - Homeownership Counseling Certification for Program Managers and Executive Directors. (Save the Date)
- August 13-17, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Program Manager Training. (Save the Date)
- October 25-26, 2018 - Bloomington, IL: Annual Housing Action Illinois Conference. (Save the Date)
- Military Housing Podcast: This Podcast is an entertaining and educational series of conversations focused on military off-base housing.
Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) YouTube Training for Housing Counselors: VHDA has posted training videos for non-profit agencies and consumers. Visit their YouTube channel to view all their current training offerings.
OCC Financial Literacy Update: The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)'s Financial Literacy Update is a bimonthly e-newsletter that reports financial literacy events, initiatives, resources and events and training.
IRS Training: Virtual Tax-Exempt 501(c)(3) Workshops Available for Educational Institutions. This training will help non-profit apply for and maintain their 501(c)(3) status.
National Endowment for Financial Education: Free self-paced online housing course. Learn about calculating housing costs, credit scores, mortgages, shopping for a lender, homeowner's insurance, researching neighborhoods, foreclosure, housing costs and developing a housing plan.
FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI): FEMA offers self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public. All are offered free-of-charge to those who qualify for enrollment.
Fair Housing Center of Northern Alabama: Visit FHCNA for registration and more information on these upcoming events:
- April 05, 2018 - Birmingham, AL: Fair Housing Annual Seminar.
- June 14, 2018 - Birmingham, AL: The 25TH Anniversary of the FHCNA.