New Trainings for Housing Counselors
New Trainings for Housing Counselors
NeighborWorks Training Institutes : NTIs are very topic and skill-focused. Participants spend most their time in intensive classes with 10-30 fellow learners. At each NTI, you're offered a selection of more than 100 courses, a one-day symposium on a pressing topic, free after-course workshops on innovative tools and methods, and abundant peer networking opportunities. Inquire with NeighborWorks about scholarship opportunities for housing counselors. Upcoming NTI Dates include:
- May 07-11, 2018 - Kansas City, MO (Save the date)
- August 20-24, 2018 - Louisville, KY (Save the date)
Self-guided Courses: Gain new information and skills you can put to work immediately in NeighborWorks self-guided courses. It is user-friendly professional development you can take advantage of whenever it fits into your schedule and wherever you can connect to the Internet. Visit Neighborworks.org/Self-guided Courses for more information or to register for courses listed below.
- Mortgage Lending Fundamentals for Homeownership Professionals (HO102el)
- HECM: Counseling Basics Overview (HO104el)
- Foreclosure Process Overview for Housing Professionals (HO107el)
- Foreclosure Basics for Homeownership Counselors (HO109el)
- Insurance Basics (HO112el)
- Understanding Credit Reports and Credit Scoring (HO130el)
- Housing Counseling Services for Military Members and Veterans (HO170el)
- Engaging Older Adults in Financial Capability Programs (HO180el)
- Mortgage Math Made Simple for Homeownership Professionals (HO206el)
- Building Skills for Financial Confidence (HO208el)*
- Counseling Clients Seeking Rental Housing (HO265el)
- Being Green, Seeing Green: Counseling Clients to Maximize Energy Savings (HO290el)
- Best Practices to Improve Your Foreclosure Intervention Counseling Program (HO347el)
*Participants enrolling in HO208el should plan to complete the course as soon as possible. Registrants who have not completed the course by mid-October, when a revised version of HO208el is scheduled to launch, will be required to start the course from the beginning.
Register today: Scholarships are available for these NeighborWorks on-line training opportunities.
Rural Community Assistance Corp. (RCAC)
RCAC provides high quality training for housing counselors nationwide. For questions on registration, contact Mark Wiseman or Christie Marks at (916) 447-9832 x 1429 or via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions on content, please contact Judy Hunter at (916) 447-9832 x 1015 or via email at: email@example.com. Scholarships are available to those employed by a HUD-approved counseling agency. For more information on registration, fees, or scholarships, visit RCAC's website. Please provide a valid email address when you register as that is how we RCAC communicate with you.
On Site Classes:
- April 16-20, 2018 - Jacksonville, FL: Developing Effective Program Manager Skills: Learn about HUD requirements for housing counseling agencies; drafting a counseling plan that meets HUD requirements; financial management including compliance with the OMB Uniform Guidance; drafting an effective quality control plan and how to monitor; building sustainability to your counseling program with a focus on community impacts; and keys to marketing your counseling program. Scholarships available; deadline: January 31, 2018.
- April 18-20, 2018 - Santa Ana, CA: Core Competencies for HUD Certification: Prepare for the exam by covering all six (6) Core Topics that housing counselors need to be competent: 1. Financial Management; 2. Housing Affordability; 3. Homeownership; 4. Tenancy; 5. Fair Housing and Civil Rights; 6. Avoiding Foreclosure and Eviction. Scholarships available; deadline: February 18, 2018.
- April 24, 2018 - Phoenix, AZ: Housing Counseling Essentials for the Beginning Counselor: Learn about the mechanics of housing counseling, industry best practices and HUD compliance requirements. Explore the different client service types, including individual counseling clients and group education activities. Intake, client file requirements, quality control issues and reporting methods as well as streamlining client data entry into your client management systems for optimal reporting. Register now and get a head start on your new career as a housing counselor. Scholarships available; deadline: February 18, 2018.
- May 01-02, 2018 - Denver, CO: Improving Your Counseling Program Through Financial Capability and Coaching: Financial capability programs are rooted in behavior change – changing how participants make financial decisions and manage their financial resources so they can resolve financial issues, reach their goals, and build their financial health. Financial coaching with ongoing accountability is a popular application of the financial capability approach. Learn how to integrate the latest tools and techniques from the financial capability field into your homeownership program to enhance your program’s effectiveness. There is a $100 fee to attend this 5-day course. Scholarships available; deadline: March 01, 2018.
- May 22–24, 2018 - Troy, NY: Core Competencies for HUD Certification: Are you ready to take and pass the HUD Housing Counseling Certification Examination? Our three-day course will prepare you for the exam by covering all six (6) Core Topics that housing counselors need to be competent: 1. Financial Management; 2. Housing Affordability; 3. Homeownership; 4. Tenancy; 5. Fair Housing and Civil Rights; 6. Avoiding Foreclosure and Eviction. There is a $150 fee to attend this 5-day course. Scholarships available; deadline: March 22, 2018.
- March 06, 08, 13, and 15, 2018 - Financial Management for Your HUD Grant: This four-part webinar series highlights key components of a sound and effective financial management system for recipients of HUD housing counseling funds. The four webinar topics covered: 1. Internal Controls; 2. Direct and Indirect Cost Allocation; 3. Budgeting; 4. Compliance under the Uniform Guidance. Using non-accountant jargon, this series addresses both requirements and best practices for your agency when managing HUD housing counseling funds. There is a $25 fee to attend this four-webinar series.
- March 20 and March 22, 2018 - 15 Steps to Homeownership: Learn about industry best practices involving 15 important steps to homeownership that consumers need to be competent at, and self-confident with, when purchasing their new home. The first session in this two-part series will explore early pre-purchase activities from choosing a lender, to selecting a realtor, to making offers on properties. The second webinar will examine the contract process, home inspections, home appraisals, and preparing for the final document signing and closing date to guide clients on what to expect on their road to homeownership. Upon completing both webinars, counselors will be able to better coach consumers through the home buying process, providing them with tools to make informed choices at each decision point along the way. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar series.
- March 27, 2018 - Tips and Tools to Optimize Counseling for Your Clients: Learn about best practices; how to streamline work flow processes for time management; and learn tips and tools to use with your clients to deliver quality counseling. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar.
- April 03, 10, & 17, 2018 - Improving Your Counseling Program Through Financial Capability and Coaching: Learn how to integrate the latest tools and techniques from the financial capability field into your homeownership program to enhance your program’s effectiveness. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar series.
- April 05, 2018 HUD Requirements for Housing Counselors: This course provides an overview of HUD requirements and how housing counselors can easily achieve mastery through best practices. Come explore how to ensure that your client files and the data that you enter into your client management system meet compliance standards. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar.
- May 01, 08, and 15, 2018 - Student Loan Debt Counseling: Learn about pre-loan counseling and includes how to use interactive links and calculators to show students their best options. We'll also cover the Free Application of Federal Student Aid, ways to reduce loan/college costs, cost of degree versus potential salary benefits, options to consider for financing a college education and potential scams. The post-loan counseling section covers repayment types, terms and calculators to give you the tools you need to help your clients. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar.
- May 03, 2018 - Understanding FHA Loan Products: Learn about the basic framework associated with all FHA loan products, including down payment requirements, mortgage insurance calculations, qualification requirements and common underwriting scenarios using the 4000.1 underwriting handbook. The session will also explore other less commonly used FHA loan programs designed for specific borrower and property profiles. Upon completion, counselors will be able to successfully guide consumers through the popular FHA insured Federal Mortgage Product.
- May 17, 2018 - Best practices in the Home Inspection Process: Learn about the importance of a home inspection. This webinar will help counselors understand how the home inspection industry is regulated, guide consumers to selecting a qualified home inspector, advise consumers on the importance of participating during the actual inspection appointment, and, using a framework based on HUD's Healthy Homes initiative, evaluate the findings to determine if the subject property will provide safe and sustainable housing for them and their families. The session will also provide decisioning tools to help guide consumers through the contract decisioning process should the home inspection findings indicate some repairs are needed. There is a $25 fee to attend this webinar.
- February 2018 - Webinar Series: All Webinars begin at Noon EST.
- February 22, 2018 - Advanced Client Management Using CMAX
National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC)
The NCRC National Training Academy offers state-of-the-art training and technical assistance online via webinars and instructor-led. Their mission is to provide a comprehensive training program that meets the needs of organizations committed to increasing access to credit in communities. Scholarships are now available for National Training Series on April 09-13, 2018 in Washington, DC. Visit NCRC's website at training.ncrc.org. For any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-524-4883.
San Diego Training Series:
February 26 - March 02, 2018 - San Diego, CA: NCRC National Training Academy Presents Housing Counseling Training. Housing counselors and professional staff affiliated with HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies are invited to attend live housing counseling training courses. All participants will receive a partial tuition scholarship automatically. A minimal registration fee is required for each training.
- February 26-March 02, 2018 - HC113: Preparing Housing Counselors for the HUD Certification Exam: Learn about tools and strategies in preparation for taking the HUD certification exam. This training has been updated to reflect the recent modifications republished in May 2017. Training core topics: Financial Management/Budget, Housing Affordability/ Renting vs. Buying, Fair Housing/History and Overview, Homeownership/ Pre-Purchase, Avoiding Foreclosure/Retention Options, Tenancy/Obtaining and Maintaining Tenancy. Attendees will receive a consolidated version of the newest HUD Study Modules.
- February 26-March 02, 2018 - HC102: Pre-Purchase: This course teaches and equips counselors and homebuyer education providers with skills, procedures and required content necessary to create new sustainable homeownership. Participants will learn how to effectively assess homeownership readiness, budgeting and credit techniques as well as options available for financing a home to move them on the path to mortgage-readiness.
- February 26-27, 2018 - FH201: Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing: Learn about the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) rule and its role in creating inclusive communities and fair housing obligations as housing professionals, and the responsibilities of federal fund recipients and community leaders.
- February 28-March 02, 2018 - HC117: Emergency Preparedness and Recovery Counseling: Learn how to utilize various disaster-related resources to provide services and conduct outreach events. Understanding your options will help manage expectations, mitigate further loss, and serve as a valuable resource to persons and communities directly or indirectly impacted by both man-made and natural disasters. Instructor will share tips, techniques, and best practices surrounding disaster preparedness and funding.
National Training Series:
April 09 - 13, 2018 - Washington, DC: The National Training Academy will be offering housing counseling trainings at the 2018 National Training Series on April 09-13, 2018 in Washington, DC. All training attendees will have access to Just Economy Conference on April 9-11, 2018. All participants will receive a partial tuition scholarship automatically. A minimal registration fee is required for each training.
- April 09-13, 2018 - HC113: Preparing Housing Counselors for the HUD Certification Exam: Learn about tools and strategies in preparation for taking the HUD certification exam. This training has been updated to reflect the recent modifications republished in May 2017. Training core topics: Financial Management/Budget, Housing Affordability/ Renting vs. Buying, Fair Housing/History and Overview, Homeownership/ Pre-Purchase, Avoiding Foreclosure/Retention Options, Tenancy/Obtaining and Maintaining Tenancy. Attendees will receive a consolidated version of the newest HUD Study Modules.
- April 09-13, 2018 - HC119: Debt management & HC120: Understanding Credit & its Impact on Today's Consumer: This is a 5-day training designed to provide housing counselors and other housing professionals with tools to help consumers decode the labels of what the housing and financial industry considers to be good debt, bad debt, and healthy debt. During this training participants will be provided with tools to help consumers navigate the progression of their credit history and gauge the impact their credit behavior has on their everyday decisions. Participants will utilize case studies, activities, and assessments to apply the tools and resources provided during the training.
- March 21, 2018 - WB101: Housing Counseling Program Delivery: Building Skills & Competencies- Part II Live Webinar: Housing Counselors are the face and human touch of the services they offer. In addition to being able to show compassion, are there other basic skills counselors are expected to possess? How will counselors know if they meet the minimum competencies? In this second part of the webinar series, we will explore these questions and others to help counselors gain the capacity and confidence they need in service delivery.
- April 25, 2018 - WB101: Housing Counseling Program Delivery: Implementing Effective Programs & Services- Part III Live Webinar:Participants will build on the general standards discussed in part one and expand the skills and competencies revealed in part two – ultimately leading up to discussing strategies to deliver an effective housing counseling program with quality and consistency.
The Counselor's Corner
Training, Membership and all webinars are free. Most webinars have a short online test afterwards to get continued education hours' credit and Certificates of Completion. Please see the upcoming webinars below. To see all webinars at a glance, please go to the TCC master webinar calendar.
- April 17, 2018 - Alternatives to Foreclosure: The Decision Tree
- May 08, 2018 - Recovery After Foreclosure
- June 20, 2018 - How to Make Your Case for Funding Your Program
- July 12, 2018 - Bankruptcy Basics
- July 18, 2018 - Demystifying Student Loan Counseling
- July 25, 2018 - Scam Prevention & Reporting
- July 31, 2018 - Building Sustainability Through First Touch
- August 15, 2018 - Achieve Your Organizational Worth
- November 07, 2018 - HUD Housing Counselor Certification Update
- November 13, 2018 - Cyber Security for Agency Managers
- November 15, 2018 - Achieve Your Organizational Worth (encore presentation)
- Housing Counselor Certification Training: Register today to attend webinars on all six HUD competencies to prepare for the HUD certification exam. Each topic will be covered three times in 2018 for your convenience. All times are 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Eastern. Click a date and topic below to register:
- February 22, 2018 - Housing Affordability
- August 21, 2018 - Housing Affordability
- February 27, 2018 - Fair Housing
- August 29, 2018 - Fair Housing
- March 06, 2018 - Homeownership
- September 06, 2018 - Homeownership
- March 15, 2018 - Avoiding Foreclosure
- September 25, 2018 - Avoiding Foreclosure
- March 22, 2018 - Tenancy
- October 09, 2018 - Tenancy
- March 27, 2018 - Financial Management
- October 25, 2018 - Financial Management
- April 09-11, 2018 - Orlando, FL: The Counselor's Corner First Impacts & Innovations Housing Professionals Training and Recognition Conference: Attend classes conducted by nationally recognized trainers. Meet with your peers to collaborate and share ideas. Participate in the nomination of those in the housing counseling industry who are shining stars.
- Available through November 2018 - Coping with Disaster PTSD webinar recording: Learn about the meaning and process of vicarious trauma, how to identify and analyze your personal signs and symptoms, and how to recognize the impact that vicarious trauma has on your professional proficiency. This information can help you and your clients and can be applied to any disaster scenario. Read the .pdf version of the presentation. Review the Self-Assessment of Vicarious Trauma form. Each person should register and view the video individually to receive credit.
Other Trainings of Interest to Housing Counselors
HOPE, Inc Training for Housing Counselors:
March 28, 2018 - Webinar: Training for HECM Counselors: This webinar has been designed to cover fair housing topics such as: History of Housing Discrimination, Protected Classes, Prohibited Practices, Exemptions, and Filing a Fair Housing Discrimination Complaint. We will also consider how Fair Housing intersects with HECM counseling. This information will help counselors pass the HUD Housing Counselor Certification exam, as well as providing required Continuing Education for the HECM Roster.
Puerto Rico Disaster Outreach by HUD and other Federal Agencies:
February 22, 2018- Guayama, PR: HUD Disaster Recovery Resource Fair: Participants will Learn about: Shelter At Home, Flood Insurance, Foreclosure Prevention, Housing Counseling, Title Issues/Successions, Legal Services, Mitigation, Various Types of Loans. 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM at the Guayama Kroc Center, Barrio Machete km. 1.1 Carr. 744, Guayama, PR 00785. For more information or directions call: 787.274.5888.
- February 21, 2018 - Webinar II.1: HUD Loss Mitigation - Option Priority Waterfall, Forbearance Plans and Special Forbearance Option
- February 28, 2018 - Webinar II.2: HUD Loss Mitigation - FHA HAMP Option
- March 07, 2018 - Webinar III: HUD Loss Mitigation - Home Disposition Options
- March 14, 2018 - Webinar IV: Neighborhood Watch System - Servicer Tools
- March 21, 2018 - Webinar V.1: SFDMS - Reporting Basics
- March 28, 2018 - Webinar V.2: SFDMS - Reporting Examples
- April 04, 2018 - Webinar V.3: SFDMS - Reporting Errors
- April 11, 2018 - Webinar V.4: SFDMS - Neglected Defaults
- April 18, 2018 - Webinar VI: FHA's Claims Without Conveyance of Title (CWCOT)
- April 25, 2018 - Webinar VII: HUD Extension of Time and Variance Request System (EVARS) Training
USDA Training: For questions regarding the regulation, training, or UL please contact Tammy Repine of the USDA RD Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division at: (360) 753-7677 or at: email@example.com
- March 22, 2018 - New Orleans, LA: Section 502 Direct Certified Loan Application Packaging Training: This training is open to individuals working for housing nonprofits and public agencies who have at least one year of affordable housing loan origination and/or affordable housing counseling experience and are interested in packaging Rural Housing Service direct loan applications.
- Recorded Webinar Training for the Certified Loan Application Packaging Process: This webinar provides training on the implementation of the certified loan application packaging process.
- February 27-28, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Credit as an Asset
- February 27-28, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Protections for Rent-to-Own Homebuyers in Illinois. (Save the Date)
- March 09, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Fundamentals of Rental Housing Counseling. (Save the Date)
- March 26-30, 2018 - Chicago, IL: NeighborWorks HO250 - Homeownership Counseling Certification: Principles, Practices and Techniques, Part 1. (Save the Date)
- March 28, 2018 - Springfield, IL: Grant Writing for Housing Nonprofits
- April 04-05, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Housing Counselor Online Made Easy. (Save the Date)
- April 09-10, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Counseling Clients with Student Loan Debt. (Save the Date)
- May 21-25, 2018 - Chicago, IL: NeighborWorks HO345 - Foreclosure Intervention and Default Counseling Certification, Part 1. (Save the Date)
- June 05-06, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Financial Management for your HUD Grant (Save the Date)
- July 16-20, 2018 - Chicago, IL: NeighborWorks HO360 - Homeownership Counseling Certification for Program Managers and Executive Directors. (Save the Date)
- August 13-17, 2018 - Chicago, IL: Program Manager Training. (Save the Date)
- October 25-26, 2018 - Bloomington, IL: Annual Housing Action Illinois Conference. (Save the Date)
- Military Housing Podcast: This Podcast is an entertaining and educational series of conversations focused on military off-base housing.
Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) YouTube Training for Housing Counselors: VHDA has posted training videos for non-profit agencies and consumers. Visit their YouTube channel to view all their current training offerings.
OCC Financial Literacy Update: The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)'s Financial Literacy Update is a bimonthly e-newsletter that reports financial literacy events, initiatives, resources and events and training.
IRS Training: Virtual Tax-Exempt 501(c)(3) Workshops Available for Educational Institutions. This training will help non-profit apply for and maintain their 501(c)(3) status.
National Endowment for Financial Education: Free self-paced online housing course. Learn about calculating housing costs, credit scores, mortgages, shopping for a lender, homeowner's insurance, researching neighborhoods, foreclosure, housing costs and developing a housing plan.
FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI): FEMA offers self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public. All are offered free-of-charge to those who qualify for enrollment.
Fair Housing Center of Northern Alabama: Visit FHCNA for registration and more information on these upcoming events:
- April 05, 2018 - Birmingham, AL: Fair Housing Annual Seminar.
- June 14, 2018 - Birmingham, AL: The 25TH Anniversary of the FHCNA.