Get HUD Exchange Updates: Get critical deadlines, policy changes, and upcoming trainings in your inbox.

Instructions for Updating HCS with HCA's Unique Entity Identifier

July 08, 2022 Print ShareThis

The U.S. Government began transitioning from the Dun and Bradstreet Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number to the System for Award Management (SAM) generated Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) as the authoritative unique entity identifier in SAM in December 2020, and notified entity managers of their new UEI assignment. Use of the UEI has been required as of April 4, 2022. HUD’s Office of Housing Counseling (OHC) has begun replacing entity DUNS numbers with their UEI within HUD’s Housing Counseling System (HCS). HUD grantees must update the UEI in HCS to ensure proper receipt of funds.

Entities already registered in SAM should have automatically received their new UEI but may also search for their UEI at If an agency is not currently registered in SAM and does not have a UEI, the agency should complete their new SAM registration as quickly as possible to ensure they have their newly assigned UEI before the grant application process begins. If an agency has an existing registration in SAM, it will not need to be re-registered to be assigned a new UEI. However, agencies should renew their registrations before their expiration dates to ensure the agency maintains its active status.

To ensure that your HCS profile contains your correct assigned UEI:

  1. Log into HCS and click on your agency information tab.
  2. Scroll down to the UEI section. (It is located just below the DUNS number section)
  3. Ensure your correct UEI is displayed
  4. If it is not there or is incorrect, please enter your correct UEI as indicated in your registration
  5. Click save to save your new UEI number in your HCS profile
Tags: Housing Counseling Program