New HUD Housing Counselor Certification Web Page and Resources on the HUD Exchange
In December 2016, HUD published new housing counselor certification standards. The Housing Counselor Certification Requirements Final Rule implements statutory requirements that housing counseling required under or provided in connection with all HUD programs must be provided by HUD Certified Housing Counselors by August 1, 2020.
Since the release of the final rule, HUD has been collecting best practices, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), instructional pages, and other resources to help housing counseling agencies meet this requirement. These resources are now available on the HUD Exchange to help individuals and organizations navigate the certification process!
Check out the brand new HUD Housing Counselor Certification page for the latest certification information, including these existing and new web pages.
Existing Web Pages:
- Final Rule and Exam: Learn about the certification final rule and the examination process and access key resources.
- Apply for Certification: Read the updated instructions for applying for certification through FHA Connection for both counselors and coordinators.
- FAQs: Access nearly 200 FAQs on a wide range of topics related to HUD Certification.
New Web Pages:
- HUD Programs Covered: Read this page to figure out if a HUD program is covered by the final rule and review options for complying.
- Tracking Progress: View a tracking graphic and accomplishments to find out how close housing counseling agencies are to meeting their goal of having a HUD certified counselor by August 1, 2020.
- Success Stories: Learn about best practices, lessons learned, and stories shared from agencies working to get their counselors certified.