Reminder: HOPWA Expedited Waiver Request Deadline is Approaching - July 31, 2022
Notice CPD-22-09: Expedited Regulatory Waivers for the Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG), Continuum of Care (CoC), Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program (YHDP), and Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) Programs announced the availability of expedited regulatory waivers for certain Community Planning and Development (CPD) programs, including HOPWA. HOPWA grantees may submit waiver requests for three regulatory requirements in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to facilitate assistance to households economically impacted by COVID-19. This request for expedited review is due on or before July 31, 2022.
Waiver requests may be submitted for the following:
- Time limits for Short-Term Housing Facilities and for Short-Term Rent, Mortgage and Utility (STRMU) Payments
- Waiver of the 60-day in 6-months limit for short-term housing facilities, allowing for stays in these facilities up to 120 days in a 6-month period
- Waiver of the 21-week in a 52-week period limit for STRMU assistance, allowing assistance for up to 52 weeks in a 52-week period
- HOPWA Space and Security Requirements
- Waiver of regulatory rule that each resident must be afforded adequate space and security for themselves and their belongings
- Would allow reconfiguration of space for temporary housing or quarantine services
- Self-Certification of Income and Credible Information on HIV Status
- Waiver of requirement to have source documentation of income eligibility and HIV status before determination of eligibility to receive HOPWA assistance
- Allowing self-certification can help ensure that HOPWA-eligible households are served without delay
For additional details, please refer to Notice CPD-22-09. The Notice:
- Provides detailed instructions for preparing and submitting an expedited regulatory waiver request
- Covers waiver requests specific to ESG, CoC, and YHDP programs, which are not all applicable to HOPWA
- Outlines flexibilities HOPWA programs may use for virtual Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections, without a waiver request
The Notice explains the process for submitting expedited waiver requests and provides directions to recipients on how to submit requests for processing. A recipient may request a waiver of the HUD requirements listed in Section D.1 of the Notice and must include a justification of why the waiver is needed. No waiver(s) requested may be implemented unless written approval from HUD has been obtained. To ensure expedited processing, recipients should reference the instructions on page nine of the Notice and should email their waiver requests to SNAPSinfo@hud.gov and send a copy to their local Field Office CPD Director. Waiver requests must be received by HUD on or before July 31, 2022, to be designated for expedited processing as provided by the Notice.
The HOPWA: Expedited Regulatory Waivers webinar, presented on June 30, 2022, covered the details of the Notice, including waivers available, the waiver request process, and the flexibility provided for virtual HQS inspections.
For questions about Expedited Waiver for HOPWA, please email HOPWA@HUD.gov or t a question to the HUD Exchange Ask A Question (AAQ) portal. In Step 2 of the question submission process, select “HOPWA” from the “My question is related to” drop down list.
HOPWA Mailing List Subscription
HOPWA uses two different listservs to communicate competition and program updates:
- Subscribe to the HUD.gov listserv for information developed by HUD/Office of HIV/AIDS Housing.
- Subscribe to the HUD Exchange listserv for information and guidance produced by HUD technical assistance providers regarding the HOPWA program.
HOPWA grantees and interested stakeholders should consider subscribing both to the HUD.gov mailing list and HUD Exchange mailing list.