Reminder and New Checklist for HOPWA Community-Wide Exception Rent Standard Submission
On June 29, 2022, the Office of HIV/AIDS Housing (OHH) issued Notice CPD-22-10: Clarification of Rent Standard Requirement for the Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) Program to clarify HUD’s guidance on applying the program rent standard requirements at 24 CFR 574.3320(a)(2).
As a reminder, Notice CPD-22-10 states that 120 days following the publication of this Notice, HUD will expect grantees to update their policies for determining rent standards and be able to support their use of any rent standard above FMR as provided by this Notice. This means:
- If grantees want to keep their current rent standards, they should review Notice CPD-22-10 to determine if their rent standard needs HUD Field Office approval, obtain approval as needed and ensure grantee and project sponsor policies and procedures are updated to reflect the requirements of the Notice.
- For example, if a grantee’s project sponsors have been using HUD Small Area Fair Market Rent (SAFMR) amounts as the HOPWA rent standards and wish to continue using SAFMRs, the grantee must obtain approval from its HUD Field Office to use SAFMR and the grantee and project sponsors must update their rent standard policies to comply with this updated standard.
- If grantees want to update their rent standards, they should review current rent standard amounts used by their project sponsors to determine if rent standards should be updated to better align with community needs, determine if proposed new rent standard amounts will require HUD Field Office approval, obtain approval before implementing, and update grantee and project sponsor policies to reflect the requirements of Notice CPD-22-10.
HOPWA Community-Wide Exception Rent Standard Submission Checklist
The HOPWA Community-Wide Exception Rent Standard Submission Checklist is an optional tool that may be used by HOPWA grantees when submitting a request for HUD approval of a HOPWA Community-Wide Exception Rent Standard.
The following resources are also available for review.
- July 6, 2022 Webinar: Clarification of Rent Standard Requirements for HOPWA
- August 4, 2022 Office Hours: Clarification of Rent Standard Requirements for HOPWA: Office Hours
HOPWA Mailing List Subscription
HOPWA uses two different listservs to communicate competition and program updates:
- Subscribe to the HUD.gov listserv for information developed by HUD/Office of HIV/AIDS Housing.
- Subscribe to the HUD Exchange listserv for information and guidance produced by HUD technical assistance providers regarding the HOPWA program.
HOPWA grantees and interested stakeholders should consider subscribing both to the HUD.gov mailing list and HUD Exchange mailing list.