From our Partners: Upcoming Free Tax Assistance for Lower Income Taxpayers Webinars - January 24 and 26, 2023
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is sponsoring two webinars that are geared towards service providers that are not tax experts. The webinars will review free filing options and ways to help people file, save, and build assets.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) Foundation Tax-Aide serve million of people every year. Both of these options are free and there are no upcharges or hidden fees. The IRS-certified volunteers have a very high accuracy rate as measure by the IRS.
You don't need to be a tax expert yourself to help people access free filing options! The CFPB has prepared resources to help get the word out. With information and encouragement, tax time can be an important opportunity for clients to save, build assets, and take other actions to improve their financial well-being.
|Webinar Title||Date and Time||Registration Link|
|Free Tax Assistance for Lower Income Taxpayers||January 24, 2023
1:00 – 2:00 PM EST
|Expert Panel on Free Tax Assistance for Lower Income Taxpayers||January 26, 2023
1:00 – 2:00 PM EST
The CFPB's two minute video for service providers reviews the free filing options and explaining how you can easily get the word out to the people you serve.
For digital communication with your clients:
- Copy and past this text on free-filing options for a blog post, email blast, or online message. (If this is of interest to you, email David.Sieminski@cfpb.gov to coordinate on any modifications you want to make and on the byline.)
- Link to this checklist to help taxpayers prepare for their tax appointment
- Help taxpayers use this worksheet deciding how much to save and where to save it
- Share the CFPB’s web-based Guide to Filing your Taxes for the 2022 Tax Year (available in both English and Spanish)
For hardcopy resources, distribute flyers, or mail information clients, you can print and share:
- Free filing flyers to make sure your clients know about their free filing options in both English and Spanish
- Distribute this checklist to help taxpayers prepare for their tax appointment
- Share this worksheet on deciding how much to save and where to save it
- Share this worksheet on ways to save a tax refund
If you have a social media presence:
- Example social media messages
- Tax Time Minute on Tax Prep in Your Community video
- Tax Time Minute Video on Online Tax Preparation
SNAPS and OHH Mailing List Subscription
Stay up to date on HUD’s Special Needs Assistance Programs (SNAPS) and Office of HIV/AIDS and Housing (OHH) news and updates for grantees and interested stakeholders:
- Sign up for SNAPS Competition Information through HUD.gov
- Sign up for SNAPS Program Information through HUD.gov
- Sign up for OHH Information through HUD.gov
- Sign up for SNAPS Technical Assistance Information through HUD Exchange