Types of Rental Assistance

What are the three types of Rental Assistance? (§ 578.51(c)-(e))

There are three different types of rental assistance:

  1. Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)
  2. Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA)
  3. Sponsor-Based Rental Assistance (SBRA)

Looking for definitions of the common CoC and ESG Program terms referenced throughout the Virtual Binders?

Virtual Binders Glossary

What is Tenant-Based Rental Assistance? (§ 578.51(c))

In TBRA, the program participants locate housing in the private rental market and enter into a lease with the property owner. Recipients/subrecipients may require participants to live in a specific structure for the first year, or a specific geographic area for the remainder of their participation in order to facilitate services.

As of July 2016, participants may use TBRA to rent units outside of the CoC's geographic area as long as the recipient meets certain requirements. It is important to review HUD's Mobility Rule One Pager to determine whether your program allows participants to move outside the CoC geography.

FAQ: What are the characteristics of TBRA?

What is Sponsor-Based Rental Assistance? (§ 578.51(d))

In SBRA, sponsor agencies rent units in the private market and then sublet the units to program participants. Sponsors may be private nonprofit organizations or community mental health agencies established as nonprofit organizations. If the participant moves, the sponsor may sublease to a different participant or use the SBRA in a different unit with the current participant. SBRA stays with the sponsor.

FAQ: What are the characteristics of SBRA?

What is Project-Based Rental Assistance? (§ 578.51(e))

In PBRA, the recipient or subrecipient contracts for a particular unit or property and the participant then enters a lease with the landlord. If the participant moves, the PBRA stays with the unit for the next eligible participant.

FAQ: What are the characteristics of PBRA?