Can grantees place caps on the amount of STRMU assistance provided?

Date Published: May 2006

Print ShareThis


Grantees may establish a dollar limit or caps on the total amount of assistance provided to clients during the 52-week period selected, if applied consistently and in a non-discriminatory manner. Caps should be reasonable enough to assist clients in overcoming the pressing need and move to residential stability as soon as possible. Some communities may use the public housing authority Section 8 rent and utility standards as caps and others place a limit on the total dollar amount of funding a client may access during the year. Others may place a cap on the number of times in the 52-week period a client can apply for assistance.

Tags: HOPWA Rental Assistance - Short-term Rent, Mortgage, and Utility Assistance (STRMU) Payments