Can STRMU be used to assist clients who rent a separate and discreet residence from a family member naming them as tenant?

Date Published: May 2006

Print ShareThis


Yes, but only with reasonable accommodation approval as stated in (g) above. HOPWA regulations follow 24 CFR 982.306(d) prohibits assistance to clients if the owner is the parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister, or brother of any member of the family, unless it is determined by a physician that living with the family member is important to the client's overall health and well being. In such situations because of this reasonable accommodation determination, the family's income is not to be counted in determining the eligibility of the low-income person with disabilities for a STRMU (or TBRA) payment. Such payments are based on the number of bedrooms that the person(s) with disabilities occupies in the home and must be reasonable for the type and nature of the housing arrangement, and similar to the reasonable rental fees available in comparable unassisted units.

Tags: HOPWA Rental Assistance - Short-term Rent, Mortgage, and Utility Assistance (STRMU) Payments