How can STRMU be used to assist clients who have a lease or rental agreement naming them as a tenant, but who live with an adult family member?

Date Published: May 2006

Print ShareThis


STRMU can assist in this scenario under two conditions:

  1. Where a client lives with an adult family member and the entire household is assisted and total household income is taken into consideration to meet HOPWA low-income eligibility guidelines, or
  2. If the client is renting the unit from the adult family member and a "reasonable accommodation" is determined necessary for the client.

HUD regulation 24 CFR 82.306 (d) does not allow housing assistance to a unit if the owner is the parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister, or brother of any member of the family, unless it is determined that approving the unit would provide "reasonable accommodation" for a family member who is a person with disabilities. A reasonable accommodation would permit a "person with disabilities" including persons with HIV/AIDS to receive benefits when housed with a family member who owns or rents the housing unit if it is determined by a physician that living with the family member is important to the client's overall health and well being. In such situations because of this reasonable accommodation determination, the family's income is not to be counted in determining the eligibility of the low-income person with disabilities for a STRMU (or TBRA) payment. Such payments are based on the number of bedrooms that the person(s) with disabilities occupies in the home and must be reasonable for the type and nature of the housing arrangement, and similar to the reasonable rental fees available in comparable unassisted units.

Tags: HOPWA Rental Assistance - Short-term Rent, Mortgage, and Utility Assistance (STRMU) Payments