If you are a veteran seeking information about housing and other services or if you are an organization seeking information on helping this community of people, the following resources should be helpful:
- The veterans page of the HUD Exchange - This page is a one-stop spot for veterans and those who help veterans find housing, with information on HUD’s homeless veteran programs and initiatives, as well as resources, publications, and relevant links to agencies and organizations. The HUD Exchange also provides local contact information for each program.
- Continuum of Care (CoC) Homeless Assistance Programs - Grantees and persons who need shelter can use this locator to find contact information for a CoC lead agency. The CoC lead agency should be able to direct you for assistance to specific homeless assistance programs.
- Department of Veterans Affairs – homeless veterans website
- Local VA office directory
- Local HUD Field Office directory
- Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Assistance Program – The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP) is a new program funded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. HUD is awarding funds to eligible cities, counties, and states. (HUD does not provide funding directly to individuals.) Individuals needing assistance can access services from an organization in their local community once HPRP funds have been distributed. Please contact your city, county, or state grantee to find out if HPRP funds are available now, whether you are eligible to receive this assistance, and how to access it.
- Veterans who have questions about the VA's home loan program are encouraged to contact their VA Regional Loan Center.