CDBG Entitlement FAQ

What happens to the UGLGs when an urban county does not apply for its CDBG grant?

Date Published: March 2019

Print ShareThis


In the subsequent year, the units of general local government (UGLGs) may apply for assistance from the State CDBG program. For example, if an urban county does not apply for its CDBG grant by August 16, 2018, it will not receive its 2018 CDBG grant. In 2019, the UGLGs may apply to the State CDBG program for assistance. Theoretically, the state may choose to award any leftover FY 2018 funding to these UGLGs. To do this, the state would have to do a substantial amendment to its method of distribution, and it may be too late if the state was already in the middle of its funding competitions.

If an entitlement grantee relinquished its entitlement status to join the urban county, it may regain its entitlement status by notifying HUD in writing of its intent by mid- September of the preceding fiscal year.

Tags: CDBG Entitlement Program Urban County