Housing Counseling FAQ

Our agency, an SHFA, was not awarded a HUD Comprehensive Housing Counseling grant. Must we still perform oversight activities over our network of agencies?

Date Published: March 2019

Print ShareThis


Yes, a State Housing Finance Agency (SHFA) participating in HUD's Housing Counseling Program must perform oversight activities over its network of affiliates. Even if an agency does not receive HUD funding in a particular grant year, any agency participating in the Housing Counseling Program is subject to HUD requirements. According to HUD Housing Counseling Handbook 7610.1 REV-5, it is the responsibility of the intermediary entity to evaluate initial and ongoing eligibility and ensure compliance of branches and affiliates in its network.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Counseling Delivery

Links in This FAQ