Housing Counseling FAQ

May our agency include the HUD logo on certificates and other materials, as described in the example below? Are there HUD Housing Counseling logos that HUD-approved agencies should be using on materials/their website?

Example: Our Housing Counseling Agency is offering a First Time Home Buyer Class and we want to include the HUD logo on the certificate we will issue participants so that banks and lenders will know that participants took a course with a HUD-approved housing counseling agency.

Date Published: March 2019

Print ShareThis


No, the HUD seal is the legal symbol of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. It is for use on official HUD communications such as HUD letterheads and other stationery items, Handbooks, and other documents that are official HUD communications. Unauthorized use of the official HUD seal is prohibited by 18 USC § 701.

However, agencies may state on the participant’s certificate that “(Housing Counseling Agency name) is a HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agency” so that banks and lenders are aware that an agency is a HUD-approved agency. Housing counseling agencies are also free to use any of the available for download image files found on HUD’s website under Outreach Tools or Housing Counseling Outreach.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Counseling Delivery

Links in This FAQ