Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

If an individual takes and passes the certification exam and is verified as a HUD Certified Counselor working for an agency, and then leaves that agency to work for another HUD approved agency, does the certification follow that individual?

Date Published: April 2017

Print ShareThis


An individual’s HUD housing counselor certification is connected to the HUD-participating agency that has verified the individual’s employment. If the individual leaves that agency, the counselor’s certification with that agency will end. When the counselor subsequently works for another HUD-participating agency, and that agency verifies that the counselor works for them, the counselor will then be certified with that HUD-participating agency.  

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Certification Rule - Who Needs to Be Certified