Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

When can a new counselor begin providing housing counseling for an agency approved to participate in HUD’s Housing Counseling Program?

Date Published: June 2017

Print ShareThis


As of August 1, 2020, the Final Compliance Date, a counselor must be HUD certified before providing housing counseling for a HUD Participating Agency. A new counselor or other agency staff person who has not passed the certification examination may work for a Participating Agency, and assist HUD certified counselors, but may not provide housing counseling or oversee group education sessions. HUD continues to require that at least half the agency’s counselors must have at least 6 months of experience in the job they will perform in the agency’s housing counseling program.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Compliance with Certification Requirements - Agency Compliance