Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

“Displacement Due to Demolition and Disposition of Public Housing” (pursuant to 24 CFR Part 970) is listed in the certification rule as a “HUD Program where Housing Counseling is funded under the HUD program.” Does that mean that all public housing agencies (PHAs) undergoing Displacement Due to Demolition and Disposition of Public Housing have to become approved to participate in HUD’s Housing Counseling Program, and PHA staff providing services to displaced residents have to become HUD certified housing counselors?

Date Published: June 2017

Print ShareThis


No, although there are certain circumstances in which certification is a requirement. The certification rule states that:

“Holistic case management for persons with special needs, for persons undergoing relocation in the course of a HUD program (including relocation and other advisory services provided pursuant to the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970 and other Federal laws), or for social services programs that also provide housing services as incidental to a larger case management program are not housing counseling.”

Therefore, services provided to residents undergoing relocation as part of the Displacement Due to Demolition and Disposition of Public Housing Program are generally not considered housing counseling, thus, HUD certification is not required. However, there may be instances where Housing Counseling, as defined in the Final Rule, is being provided under the Displacement Due to Demolition and Disposition of Public Housing program. For example, if a resident is receiving Housing Counseling, as defined in the Final Rule, as a separate specialized service, then the housing counseling has to be provided by a HUD certified housing counselor working for an agency participating in HUD’s Housing Counseling Program as of August 1, 2020, the Final Compliance Date. The Final Rule defines housing counseling at 24 CFR 5.100 as:

“Independent, expert advice customized to the need of the consumer to address the consumers’ housing barriers and achieve their housing goals and must include the following process: intake; financial and housing affordability analysis; an action plan, except for reverse mortgage counseling; and a reasonable effort to have follow-up communication with the client when possible. The content and process of housing counseling must meet the standards outlined in the regulations that govern HUD’s Housing Counseling Program at 24 CFR part 214. Homeownership counseling and rental counseling are types of Housing Counseling.”

Please note that routine administrative activities of the Public Housing Program (e.g., program eligibility determinations, intake, case management), or mobility-related services, are not housing counseling for the purposes of the certification rule.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Requirements on Other Specific HUD Programs - Displacement Due to Demolition and Disposition of Public Housing

Links in This FAQ