Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

The Resident Opportunity and Self-Sufficiency Program (ROSS) is listed in the certification rule as a “HUD program where housing counseling referrals are made by a grantee or Subgrantee of the program for use by a family assisted under the program.” Does this mean that ROSS service coordinators must become HUD certified housing counselors?

Date Published: December 2016

Print ShareThis


No. The ROSS NOFA provides for the salaries and benefits of ROSS service coordinators, and in general does not provide funding for services. This means that ROSS service coordinators may not use ROSS funding to directly provide housing counseling. However, when a ROSS service coordinator refers a participant to housing counseling (e.g., rental housing counseling to help participants move to market-rate rental housing, or homeownership counseling for a participant whose goal is to become a homeowner), the service coordinator must refer the participant to the List of HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Requirements on Other Specific HUD Programs - Resident Opportunity and Self-Sufficiency

Links in This FAQ