Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

Could you clarify the meaning of "works for" in the following statement "an individual who works for an agency approved to participate in HUD's Housing Counseling Program"?

Date Published: August 2017

Print ShareThis


The term "works for" means both paid employees and volunteers of a Participating Agency, on a full- or part-time basis. If an agency validates the employment of an individual, the agency will be responsible for any housing counseling activity conducted by the housing counselor pursuant to that certification. The agency will also be responsible for ensuring that the counselor’s activities comply with all regulations and requirements of HUD’s Housing Counseling program, including requirements pertaining to conflicts of interest and subcontracting.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Certification Rule - Who Needs to Be Certified