Housing Counseling FAQ

Who must be certified in an agency approved to participate in HUD's Housing Counseling Program?

Date Published: June 2017

Print ShareThis


As of August 1, 2020, the Final Compliance Date, all individuals working for a Participating Agency who provide Housing Counseling services, or oversee group education, or both, must be HUD certified. This includes Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) counselors.

Staff who do not directly provide Housing Counseling, do not oversee group education, and whose roles are limited to other tasks such as management or administrative support of a housing counseling program are not required to become HUD certified housing counselors.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Certification Rule - Who Needs to Be Certified