Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

If a Participating Agency provides one type of one-on-one Homeownership Counseling (e.g., default counseling) is the Participating Agency now required to provide one-on-one Housing Counseling to address all of the types of Homeownership Counseling?

Date Published: December 2016

Print ShareThis


A Participating Agency is not required to provide one-on-one counseling to address all of the types of Homeownership Counseling. However, the Participating Agency still must be prepared to cover the components of Homeownership Counseling that are relevant to each client's individual needs and circumstances. The agency's Housing Counseling Work Plan must specify how the agency addresses the requirement that the agency must cover the entire process of homeownership for clients that receive Homeownership Counseling.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Additional Program Requirements - Homeownership Counseling Counseling Delivery