Housing Counseling FAQ

If an agency does provide housing counseling as covered by the rule, and also provides homebuyer education classes, do guest speakers (real estate agents, lenders, inspectors, etc.) for the classes have to be HUD certified housing counselors? 

Date Published: December 2016

Print ShareThis


No. HUD recognizes that agencies often use other agency staff and industry professionals such as Realtors, Home Inspectors and Loan Officers as presenters at home buyer education and other group workshops. This Final Rule does not require that all group education presenters obtain HUD certification; however, all group education must be overseen by a HUD certified housing counselor. 

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Requirements on Other HUD Programs - General - Certification as it Affects Other HUD Programs