Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

If an agency does provide housing counseling as covered by the rule, does its homebuyer education classes need to be overseen by a HUD certified housing counselor?

Date Published: June 2017

Print ShareThis


Yes. If your agency is providing housing counseling required under or provided in connection with HUD programs, then the agency must be approved to participate in HUD’s Housing Counseling Program by August 1, 2020, the final compliance date. As an agency participating in HUD’s Housing Counseling program, all group education offered by your agency must be overseen by a HUD certified housing counselor after the final compliance date. 

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Requirements on Other HUD Programs - General - Certification as it Affects Other HUD Programs