Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

If an agency does not provide housing counseling as covered by the rule, but does provide group homebuyer education, is this education required to be overseen by a HUD certified housing counselor?

Date Published: December 2016

Print ShareThis


No. As long as an agency is not providing housing counseling required under or provided in connection with HUD programs, your agency would not need to be approved to participate in HUD’s Housing Counseling program, and your agency’s homebuyer group education would not be required to be overseen by a HUD certified housing counselor.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Requirements on Other HUD Programs - General - Certification as it Affects Other HUD Programs