Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

What are the HUD programs on the list where a family assisted under a HUD program is referred to Housing Counseling, by a grantee or Subgrantee of the HUD program?

Date Published: December 2016

Print ShareThis


Any HUD program where a grantee or Subgrantee makes a housing counseling referral to a family assisted under the HUD program must make the referral to an agency approved to participate in HUD’s Housing Counseling program consistent with § 5.111. Examples include the Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS); Resident Opportunity and Self-Sufficiency Program (ROSS), and Multifamily Housing Service Coordinators program. If an FSS coordinator, ROSS service coordinator, or Multifamily Housing Service Coordinator refers a participant to housing counseling (e.g., rental housing counseling to help participants move to market-rate rental housing, or homeownership counseling for a participant whose goal is to become a homeowner), the coordinator must refer the participant to agencies approved to participate in HUD’s Housing Counseling program.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Requirements on Other Specific HUD Programs - Family Self-Sufficiency Requirements on Other Specific HUD Programs - Multifamily Housing Service Coordinators Requirements on Other Specific HUD Programs - Resident Opportunity and Self-Sufficiency Requirements on Other HUD Programs - General - Certification as it Affects Other HUD Programs