Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

When a Participating Agency hires a new counselor or loses a counselor, what are the agency’s responsibilities for notifying HUD?

Date Published: December 2016

Print ShareThis


Agencies approved to participate in HUD’s housing counseling program will be responsible for reporting to HUD in FHA Connection whenever a housing counselor who has passed the HUD Housing Counselor certification examination is hired, or a HUD certified housing counselor has left their employment. HUD will provide further instructions as to how reporting specifically related to the status of HUD certified counselors will be implemented. In addition, under the regulations existing prior to the publication of the Final Rule, agencies participating in HUD’s Housing Counseling Program are required to notify HUD within 15 days when there are any changes in staff personnel responsible for the housing counseling program, such as the housing counselors. The notification should be made to the Participating Agency’s HUD point of contact and the Participating Agency’s Intermediary or State Housing Finance Agency point of contact.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Compliance with Certification Requirements - Reporting and Monitoring

Links in This FAQ