Can the Planning Grant cover costs for Youth Action Board (YAB) members to be paid a stipend to attend YAB meetings and other activities related to the development and implementation of the Community Plan?

Date Published: March 2019

Print ShareThis


Yes. Selected communities may apply for funds to conduct planning related activities through the CoC Program "Planning" component type outlined in 24 CFR 578.39. These funds may be used to conduct needs analyses, develop and implement the Coordinated Community Plan, and evaluate the outcomes of the local Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program (YHDP). Persons participating in these activities, including youth on the YAB, may be compensated without need for a waiver of existing regulations. If a selected community wishes to compensate youth on the YAB for activities other than those listed at 24 CFR 578.39, they can request a waiver of those regulations with the submission of their planning project application for consideration by HUD.

Please note that HUD will only approve planning grants until HUD approves the Coordinated Community Plan. HUD also understands that funding offered to selected communities through YHDP will not be sufficient to cover all community costs in the effort to establish a coordinated community response and prevent and end youth homelessness. With that in mind, HUD encourages applicants to begin to develop local partnerships to support the effort, including partnerships with local philanthropy to support costs that cannot be covered by HUD funding.

Tags: YHDP Eligible Activities

Links in This FAQ